Upbeach St Mary

mullie

Some of you may have seen my micro layout in the July Railway Modeller.I had been planning to insert at least one more box into the layout anyway sothought I could throw my hat into the ring as a deadline might make me get itfinished. I'm also upgrading the whole layout including scenery and electricsas the RM article was written some time ago. The layout was never meant to betruly portable in an exhibition sense but now it will be. Not sure at themoment what form the extension will take but it will be inserted between themain board, that's the one with the point and signal cabin on it and thecottage siding board. I'm thinking along the lines of another industry and somesort of water feature, the whole point being to use up the various bits andpieces I have accumulated over the years. In fact this was the original pointof the layout; to build something quickly as light relief from my more substantial00 gauge finescale layout, sort of model recycling! Anyone got any ideas?

post-12773-0-53646900-1312568462_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-93099800-1312568509_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-68496400-1312568534_thumb.jpg

It's quite rural so how about a creamery, which would give you the excuse for a bay platform and building of some sort as well as some milk tankers, although it depends on what you have in the bits box.

Good luck, StuartM

Creamery is a good idea, I will look into it. I also considered a jam factory as I have a link somewhere on how rail traffic worked at such places. The layout is set on the edge of the fens so this would be appropriate. I have a Wills engine shed in stock so this could form the basis of a useful conversion. Thanks for your input.

Some progress has now been made. Instead of using the box file in the middle of the layout, I have decided to use another one I have set up for the end of the layout. Essentially this layout is becoming modular. At home it can be set up as a small end to end shunting layout but I am also looking to add Hornby 3rd radius curves at each end and some sort of cassette fiddle yard along the back for variety. Therefore, the track along the back of each box is the 'main line' with sidings in front. Scenically it is proving difficult because space is so limited but I will keep messing around with various ideas I have and see what works. first photo shows the box file attached to the next one, the point is a recent addition to make working the layout easier. The second photo shows the box file itself. I decided to curve the siding to make things visually more interesting. The back is not rigid yet and has a hole in it because I originally planned to take the track off at an angle but that proved too problematic. Rigidity will improve when the back scene is added.

post-12773-0-50696300-1313225387_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-75679300-1313225424_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at photos of the loading facilities at Middleton Towers in Norfolk recently and re reading the article on the Redmire terminal in the book 'Modelling the British Rail era' by Fleming, Flint, gibbons and Taylor. I think I could probably fit in a scaled down version of the Redmire loading chute especially if designed for 16 or 21 ton mineral wagons as used in the late 50s and 60s period I model. To make things more interesting I'm going to try and make it work so when empty wagons pass under the loading chute they re emerge full. I have some Wills corrugated Iron panels, already painted and weathered in stock, and some suitable girders etc to make the roadway. Important thing at this stage is to size everything up so it fits. I'll try and post some photos soon

Realised when the deadline was yesterday so thought I'd better get my skates on as once September gets here I will have less time. Sprayed the track a basic track colour ready for highlighting and reinforced the box file today. The white plywood will have a back scene attached. The Parkside Dundas van is so I can work out relative heights. First and second photos give a general view and shows the undercoated backscenes, I usually paint a simple back scene on artists mounting board. Third photo shows pencil marks where the sand terminal will be going towards the back of the box file. Track is laid on artist board so it matches up with track level of next box file. All timber used in the project is spare bits but I am careful to make sure things are flat and work and track is laid on 9mm ply soldered to copperclad sleepers at each end and this enables wiring to be kept simple. Will start work on the sand terminal tomorrow.

post-12773-0-46798000-1314037987_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-22120000-1314038024_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-76048900-1314038066_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Very nice project this...do like boxfile layouts me :D

Just wondered if you had considered extending the sky backscene as part of the roof lid? Those low level shots are very atmospheric and I was thinking that if the lid was opened at 90 degrees, then you would not see over the top of the sky...if that makes sense?

Just wondered if you had considered extending the sky backscene as part of the roof lid? Those low level shots are very atmospheric and I was thinking that if the lid was opened at 90 degrees, then you would not see over the top of the sky...if that makes sense?

Having seen the work on this site including your own, I will certainly give it some thought. One of the reasons for the low back scene has always been practical. The layout often has to be stored in a small space in my working area at home so being able to simply shut the lids and stack them on top of each other has made things easier. I started with two box files and now their are six plus I'm also looking at turning it into a continuous run. The great thing about box files is that the layout has essentially become modular, adding a box file when I feel like it which is really good.

I've been looking at photos of the loading facilities at Middleton Towers in Norfolk recently and re reading the article on the Redmire terminal in the book 'Modelling the British Rail era' by Fleming, Flint, gibbons and Taylor. I think I could probably fit in a scaled down version of the Redmire loading chute especially if designed for 16 or 21 ton mineral wagons as used in the late 50s and 60s period I model. To make things more interesting I'm going to try and make it work so when empty wagons pass under the loading chute they re emerge full. I have some Wills corrugated Iron panels, already painted and weathered in stock, and some suitable girders etc to make the roadway. Important thing at this stage is to size everything up so it fits. I'll try and post some photos soon

Mocked up the sand terminal last night but it just looked too big. I suppose because this module has to fit into a layout I need to follow the theme and not overpower it. I do have another idea that I will explore today or tomorrow if possible.

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the work on this site including your own, I will certainly give it some thought. One of the reasons for the low back scene has always been practical. The layout often has to be stored in a small space in my working area at home so being able to simply shut the lids and stack them on top of each other has made things easier. I started with two box files and now their are six plus I'm also looking at turning it into a continuous run. The great thing about box files is that the layout has essentially become modular, adding a box file when I feel like it which is really good.

Agreed...I do like the idea of just closing the lids and sticking them back on the shelf afterwards...which is what I did with mine.

I also wanted everything to be contained inside the box, as I was flying mine in my hand luggage back to exhibit in the UK, however I will get back to finishing it some time and I will for sure increase the height of my backscene...if only to make it more photogenic.

Have you come up with a good way of extending the backscene and still being able to shut the lid or do you know of anyone who has?

I've re thought my entry as most things I've tried just seem to big and imposing. The whole layout, of which this is one section is basically set in the Cambridgeshire Fens where things tend to be very flat and rather feature less for miles but nevertheless has a real charm of its own. I've been looking at books and pictures of the Wisbech and Upwell tramway and particularly the idea of modelling a small area based on Outwell Basin alongside the river. I'll post some photos when I've made some progress.

• RMweb Gold

Have you come up with a good way of extending the backscene and still being able to shut the lid or do you know of anyone who has?

Sadly not...

I wonder if keeping 3D trees etc to the maximum height of the depth of the boxfile and then spraying the lid to represent the sky would work? That way the trees might stand slightly proud of the lower backscene and with the lid open to 90 degrees the sky emerges from behind it...

Made some progress! Having decided to model something of a rural backwater, I have weathered the track, added what will probably be the only building and Creek wall and added the basic ground terrain using a mix of PVA glue and DAS modelling clay.

Photo one shows the creek wall modelled using balsa with the edge of the box file waiting to be blended in.

Photo two shows a short stretch of the Peco track with a rough footway up ahead.

Photo three shows the Wills weighbridge being used as an office building.

Photo four is a different view showing health and safety has been thought about!

I'm going to leave the DAS for a few days to thoroughly dry then paint the terrain such that it is before detailing.

post-12773-0-49121400-1314448215_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-53579100-1314448262_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-98356300-1314448305_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-60649600-1314448639_thumb.jpg

Basic ground cover is now done, track is ballasted etc so hope to start scenic detailing this weekend.

Got round to taking some photos of progress to date, track ballasted etc. I'm waiting for some greenery to arrive so I can begin working in more detail. This has given me the chance to make progress on my second module, please see separate posting.

Mainline on right is ballasted with woodland Scenics fine ballast, rest of ground cover is a mixture of ballast and barbecue ash. Water is painted to try and represent the reflections seen in the water on a sunny day, i.e. reflections of the sky. Weeds and varnish need to be added.

post-12773-0-55539900-1315055146_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-60674600-1315055186_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got round to taking some photos of progress to date, track ballasted etc. I'm waiting for some greenery to arrive so I can begin working in more detail. This has given me the chance to make progress on my second module, please see separate posting.

Mainline on right is ballasted with woodland Scenics fine ballast, rest of ground cover is a mixture of ballast and barbecue ash. Water is painted to try and represent the reflections seen in the water on a sunny day, i.e. reflections of the sky. Weeds and varnish need to be added.

Things been difficult last few weeks but some progress has been made in detailing the quay side, really got to get cracking this week!

post-12773-0-66884900-1316354293_thumb.jpg

Needed to draw things to a close so this is as finished as the module will get. What's next? to revamp the scenery on the rest of the layout so there is continuity across the box files and I need to build a new fiddle yard. Many thanks to all who have taken an interest in this RM novice.

Archived