Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SGD 20 ton Grain wagons

Some photographs of Scottish Grain Distillers 20 ton Grain wagons at the KFRPS yard at Kirkland ( Leven ) awaiting restorationpost-11150-0-93619100-1312923835_thumb.jpg.post-11150-0-69377600-1312923250_thumb.jpg SGD had 5 distilleries in central scotland, Cameronbridge (Fife), Port Dundas (Glasgow), Carsebridge (near Alloa), Cambus (near Alloa) and the Caledonian ( Edinburgh). The wagons which are of riveted construction but otherwise similar to the standard BR 20 ton grain wagon were originally painted DCL ( Distillers Company Ltd ) the company split into two separate orginisations, Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD) & Scottish Grain Distillers (SGD) c1956 and would have been re- painted around this timepost-11150-0-59656500-1312924239_thumb.jpg The company name changed yet again to Uninted Distillers who kindly donated the wagons for preservation in the late 1980`s. (the distillery shunter was later donated to the SRPS at Boness).post-11150-0-54906100-1312925157_thumb.jpg Potographs of Cameronbridge station from the 60`s, 70`s and 80`s show these wagons lurking in a variety of sidings at Cameronbridge (Windygates).post-11150-0-24792500-1312925555_thumb.jpg Following yet another name change, this time to Diagio.60 ton pollybulks were delivering grain to Cameronbridge distillery, unloaded by portable grain elevator into a lorry in the station yard in the late 80`s early 90`s then driven into the distillery.post-11150-0-14001200-1312926191_thumb.jpg Diagio and proceding companies have shown a consistantly genorous policy when disposing of there rail assetts post-11150-0-06284900-1312926678_thumb.jpg The KFRPS are keen to get these wagons back on the top line, so if any genorous Rmwebbers would like to contribute - you know who to make the cheque`s out to.post-11150-0-73794800-1312927119_thumb.jpg If anybody requires more detailed photo`s for modeling purposes PM me and I will be more than happy to oblige.

• Like 1

Actually these wagons look more like the GWR version to me. Can't find any on Paul Bartlett's site but there are plenty of photos of the BR wagons, e.g.:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brgraincgv/h139f1f20#h139f1f20

No, sorry they are LMS design vans. These were some of the photographs I hadn't put back from fotopic - but have now done so.

These were the early LMS design http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsgrain/e30d38eeb and http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsgrain/e3dd452ae

The last batch of LMS vans were different and led to the design used by BR for more than a decade http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsgrain/e365ecd6d

The steel GWR vans were very rare but I did capture one on a very mucky day http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrgrain/e29e929ef . Although similar there are marked differences to the LMS vans.

Paul Bartlett

I think some photographs of the builders plates this weekend could setttle this, but I suspect Paul Bartlett has hit the nail on the head, however I do wonder why an east coast company went to the LMS for a design when the LNER could have provided this - price perhaps!

We have had a good response to ths post, so if nobody objects I will post a wagon a week as the KFRPS have an interesting inventory of stock. which may be of interest to modelling comunity if anybody require`s further information on a specific wagon PM me and I will be happy to oblige.

• Like 1

I think some photographs of the builders plates this weekend could setttle this, but I suspect Paul Bartlett has hit the nail on the head, however I do wonder why an east coast company went to the LMS for a design when the LNER could have provided this - price perhaps!

What a strange response! The LNER did not modernise its grains - they only had wooden bodied wagons, despite having the steel bodied alumina covhop.

Before posting more, perhaps explaining the acronym KFRPS would be friendly.

Paul Bartlett

Kingdom of Fife railway preservation society, Paul. Based near Kirkcaldy as far as I know.

Dave.

Thank you. I don't know how many museums and conservation sites there are in the UK, but it runs into many hundreds so it is unlikely many of us will be familiar with more than a few of them.

Paul Bartlett (who belongs to the EGRM "Ebor" Group of Railway Modellers. Which meant it took me years to realise that there was model railway club at the bottom of the road - in York! :mellow: )

• 6 months later...

Hi Lochty,

Came across this topic by accident when looking for something else... nice photos. I remember these wagons at Cameron bridge in the 1970s: I see you have No 26 in your fleet - here's a photo of it at Cameron Bridge in 1977, looking less weathered than in your shots!

post-7032-0-83917400-1331326074_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember the livery was light grey with white or cream lettering shaded red, but memory is fallible! Can you or anyone else confirm?

cheers

Graham

PS did you ever post any more photos of KFRPS wagons?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I was searching for a full size picture that may have been the inspiration for the Triang GRAIN wagon and came across this post.

Very similar and assume the model is slightly freelance.

The bottom part without the dome was sold as an open hopper.

I just found a box of one dozen of the R214 and would like to use them somehow.

Thanks for posting these photo's.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/03/2012 at 20:51, Graham R said:

Hi Lochty,

Came across this topic by accident when looking for something else... nice photos. I remember these wagons at Cameron bridge in the 1970s: I see you have No 26 in your fleet - here's a photo of it at Cameron Bridge in 1977, looking less weathered than in your shots!

post-7032-0-83917400-1331326074_thumb.jpg

I seem to remember the livery was light grey with white or cream lettering shaded red, but memory is fallible! Can you or anyone else confirm?

cheers

Graham

PS did you ever post any more photos of KFRPS wagons?

Hi everyone,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread however I saw a photograph, today, of one of these wagons and wondered about their history.  Please excuse my ignorance, but did these venture far from Cameron Bridge or were they for internal use only?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.