An old friend returns to Whipsnade

EddieB

Spending a day with my family at Whipsnade Zoo yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find a visiting locomotive working on the "Great Whipsnade Railway".

"CHEVALLIER" had a long association with Whipsnade, being one of the original locomotives acquired from Bowaters in the early 'seventies and indeed worked the first passenger train on the "Whipsnade and Umfolozi Railway" as it was then styled. Sold into private ownership a few years ago, it has rejoined its former shed-mates "EXCELSIOR" and "SUPERIOR" for the Summer season.

If last year's pattern is repeated (when "MELIOR" was loaned by the Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway), "CHEVALLIER" should be at Whipsnade until at least the Bank Holiday weekend, and most likely will work alternate services with the resident locomotives at weekends and on the Bank Holiday Monday, or take the [ahem] lion's share of duties during weekdays.when one locomotive is steamed.

Also worth noting is that the Zoo is running a "Driver for a Fiver" scheme on Sundays during August, whereby members of the public can drive one of their steam locomotives in the yard, after brief instruction. (No booking, just turn up).

chevallier.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Also worth noting is that the Zoo is running a "Driver for a Fiver" scheme on Sundays during August, whereby members of the public can drive one of their steam locomotives in the yard, after brief instruction. (No booking, just turn up).

I liked the last bit Eddie, a truly attractive offer - after you've paid a small fortune to get in of course (but still cheaper than any other driving course and you get to see the animalscool.gif).

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to Whipsnade this afternoon, with the intention of trying out the "driver for a fiver" scheme, only to find that it was canned by the parent Zoological Society of London. Having two young children we have "Friends" membership which gives us an annual pass, and always enjoy a day at either Whipsnade or London, but had I paid on the day expecting to drive a steam locomotive, I might have been heavily miffed.

I hope no one has been inconvenienced - certainly the scheme was being advertised when I posted the original message.

BTW Chevallier was working the trains again today.

Archived