Hornby Railroad 9F HELP

Hi I am considering buying a Hornby Railroad 9F and modifying it. I cannot find any locomotive numbers which go under the windows on Fox Transfers. Does anyone know why I can get these from? Also is there any thing I should know before starting e.g. where looks cheap and plasticy. I will also be adding a smoke generator and a firebox red light.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Try HMRS transfers range.

There is a raft of things that can be done to the Hornby 9F, but nothing overcomes the incorrect wheelbase, and the difficulty in adding most of the underframe detail will put off all but the most determined. (Readily accomplished improvements include reduce width over cylinders, shorten forward tender underframe, remove rear window cab glazing, take front steps off pony truck, fit steps under bufferbeam, add rear ashpan doors, modify tender running gear for clear sight through underframe arches.)

With one major retailer offering the Bach 9F well discounted I know which way I would jump. It is fundamentally right as a model, and has easily removed cabside numbers too. If you can get a look at the pair side by side; you should easily see what the extra £31 (based on this retailer's prices) gets you ...

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=23526

Guest 40-something

I swear by HMRS transers for steam loco numbers (and wagon numbers), I use the Pressfix range, not tried Methfix.

I can also add that spending the little extra on the Bachmann 9F is more than worth it, looks great, weathers up very well and can haul anything you put behind it (Im sure I read someone had over 100 Bachmann 16t minerals behind one)

Hi I am considering buying a Hornby Railroad 9F and modifying it. I cannot find any locomotive numbers which go under the windows on Fox Transfers. Does anyone know why I can get these from? Also is there any thing I should know before starting e.g. where looks cheap and plasticy. I will also be adding a smoke generator and a firebox red light.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

Have a look at the Modelmaster range here:

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/Replacement_Numbering.php

It's quite a long list and the 9F set is well down the page.

Regards

• 3 months later...

Class 67001

i prefer using HMRS at the moment i have recently started rebuilding the old Hornby 9f evening star all i have to do is the lining courtisy of HMRS i think as the pre-fix transfers go they are in a league of there own,

fox's transfers are very good but if they are for a specific locomotive can cost some money but they are quite impressive

• 2 months later...

I hae one Bachmann "Evening Star", a Hornby one and 2 black ones. all loco drive. The comments about incorrect details are right, but some of the changes are easy to make and the Hornby 9f seems to hold to hold the track better than the Bachmann one and is more robust when attacked by small children (which happens a lot in my house).

Paul

• 1 month later...

i have a couple of Hornby versions a triang loco and a Bachmann and to sort a few of the problems i simply set a dremel and drill to it (the evening star pictures are in my gallery and in my blog on the RMWEB)

Archived