Hairspray to fix scatters/fibres

Jamie

All,

I have been searching for "hairspray" for scenic applications, but all I found is it's recommendation - not means of application.

I wish to do some remedial work to the layout where the base material (carpet underlay) was augmented with various scatters/fibres. The overlay materials have rubbed thin in places, notably the edge of the baseboard.

As per the original work, I intend to 'fix' the new overlay with el cheapo hairspray.

Can anyone advise whether the hairspray goes on first to form an adhesive to which the scatters fix, or get the scatter and fibre stuff how I want then spray over to hold in place?

TIA,

Jamie.

Jamie

I've used it for tree making. I've used both Display Mount spray glue and thinned PVA sprayed to hold the foliage in place. Once everything is dry after 24 hours I've gone over with Hairspray. This very slightly darkens the colours. I've been told that it is in effect a weak water soluble varnish but how much truth there is in that I don't know, nor does it really matter I guess.

I used Boots own brand non perfumed ultra firm hold. IIRC it comes in a purple can and was very cheap. Although the trees do still shed a little I'm sure the hairspray has helped a great deal but I doubt it's strong enough to use as a glue in it's own right.

Thanks Anglian :)

Initial tests suggest Co-Op extra firm hold does exactly that, when sprayed on almost to saturation. after placement of fibres. Even seems to resist brushing :yes:

But my, my, it doesn't half pong the place out.

By it's very nature hairspray is meant to deteriorate quite quickly, a matter of hours really, but it does work if the amount applied is generous. There are few other alternatives in a can, apart from flat finish varnishes.

You have much wider range with an airbrush, matt acrylic varnish is a good general purpose fixative. Even tougher is matt cellulose like Testors, which is done in cans, but quite expensive. It can be bought in bottles for airbrush application.

Any flat enamel varnish sprayed on will work, but takes longer to set than cellulose based varnish.

Art fixative sprays are made, but cost quite a bit in canisters, again spraying from an airbrush is far cheaper.

Stephen.

Yep, cheaper the better!

I start by spraying very lightly from a distance until the area is well saturated and then leave it to dry. I mask off areas not requiring coverage.

Any repairs can be done a a lesser distance, so overspray is limited.

You do get some funny looks buying hairspray when you have as little hair as I do...

Archived