My "Location Undecided" layout

ianwales

Ian,

I've just discovered your post and having read earlier comments about gradients and 8-9 coach trains plus 2'8 radius curves I was cringing

Take time out, research some alternative locations and keep to one level, good luck.

Dave S.

Hi dave

I think my way forward is one level, the 2'8" rad curve will have to stay as the layout room is only 5'10" wide at the one end.

Ian

Hi all

What I am thinking about at the moment is a double track continous run round the room with a branch off to a storage yard one side and a branch off to a town terminus the other side, something on the lines of Borchester or John Elliot's Bradfield. I can still then have 8 coach trains, but, no worries about gradients. a shortened slightly thinner (4 or 5 Platforms instead of 7 and a dock)version of Leeds Central would be sort of thing I had in mind.

Ian

Ian D

nothing wrong with your 2'8" radius curve, 36" is the much published ideal but I know of one excellent layout with habd made locos that has the odd sharper radius without problems. My own new layout had 36" on paper and I'm down to 26 in places but not in scenic areas and I have avoided gradients on my main line so longer trains will not be a problem.

Good luck and remember we've all been where you are now and "there is light at the end of the tunnel" but remember, don't make it too long to retrieve stock!

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all

Spent a frustrating couple of hours yesterday trying to wire the turntable up, can someone explain why a TT that was working perfectly when I took it out a couple of years ago and has been stored in its box, when I wired it yesterday absolutly defied all attempts to make it work and yet when I came in from church and went upstairs I had it revolving under its own power within 5 mins!!!!

Ian

Hi all

Well, my darling wife is in work, the two boys are in school and the 3 year old is watching Ceebeebies so I got a bit of modelling done.

I altered 6 Peco points for DCC by isolating the Frog and bonding the switch and running rails as well as adding a dropper to the frog for the Hex Juicer, first point took about 40 minutes while the sixth took about 10, but I wish I had 3 hands!!!

So next job is to lay these points as the throat to the new storage yard on the opposite side of the room to the previous photos.

Can't make up my mind between a through station or a terminus though?

Ian

Archived