Budget Rotary/Hobby (Dremel) Tool Review

I just thought I write-up a quick review of the budget rotary tool I recently purchased from Maplin Electronics.

I've wanted a "Dremel" for quite some time but didn't have a job to justify the expense that I couldn't do with other tools I already had. Recently though I laid the track on my N-gauge layout and needed to cut the rails to isolate the frogs (DCC-friendly conversion); this seemed like a job for a Dremel! My neighbour very kindly lent me his Dremel 300-1/55 so I could try it out. It made easy work of the points but I thought it was a bit chunky for fine modelling use.

Whilst I was in Maplin last week picking up various other bits and bobs I spotted this, an EVERISE 18V Mini Grinder Set code N14BG:

post-8095-0-65522600-1313712537.jpg

It's much smaller and lighter than the Dremel 300 as it uses a transformer rather than being directly mains powered. It has a good selection of accessories, although a few more cutting discs would have been good. The aluminium case is better than the plastic cases most other similar tools come in.

post-8095-0-45901800-1313712550.jpg

The speed is variable between 8,000 and 18,000 RPM. Only finger tightening is required to hold the tools (there is button next to the chuck to stop the shaft turning when changing tools) and there are three different sizes of collet included. It isn't quite as quick as the Dremel 300 at cutting rails (I'm only doing Peco Code 55) but it doesn't struggle either.

And best of all? It's on special offer for £15.99 until 06/09/2011! The branding has changed to PROMAX and I've also seen the same kit as the RotaCraft RC18.

Drawbacks? The cutting discs aren't as thin as the Dremel ones (1.2mm vs. 0.6mm). It probably won't last as long as a Dremel under heavy use but for occasional light-modelling I'm sure it'll be just fine. The only bad thing is the black foam liner absolutely stinks!

Archived