RMweb

Plastic Box to Tin Can (Lima 101 to EM)

Hello,

This is my first ever attempt at converting a 00 RTR motorised model to EM gauge - in fact it's my first attempt at detailing a model too! Any help would be very gratefully received...

Wheels and conversion, especially the the driving axles remain a source of angst at the moment. I thought I'd solved the problem with Ultrascale's straight forward conversion kit but they've said that it's about a 3 month delivery timescale. I find that staggering for a supply business. One drawback with the Ultrascale was the wheel diameter of 12mm when I believe, for prototypical effect, I need 14mm.

The Lima 101 is an good representation of the real thing but I've found a few bits that need sorting out. My chosen subject is a 2 car blue set dated around the mid 70's. I managed to buy one second-hand on-line from Taw Valley Models and delivery/service was very good - Thanks.

Someone had already had a hack at it in an attempt at detailing - the centre couplings had gone, replaced with bent rail, and the rear step boards on the DMC had been crudely filed down a tad.

My first job was to strip down all the bits. I then immediatley dived in and removed the roof pods above the cab ends that just weren't fitted in the 70's. This was done by filing away with enough care to preserve as much roof mould rivet detail as I could.... ...as the arthritis began with filing so the enthusiasm waned - but I got there eventually...

Next job was to begin on the interior seating and I've done my best to capture the 70's colour scheme with my mind constantly re-assuring me that most of it won't be seen!

Here's some pics on progress so far.

post-10242-0-89104100-1313822210_thumb.jpg

The above shows the pods removed and the yellow plastic showing through.

post-10242-0-05416600-1313822323_thumb.jpg

Here's the motor that's a bit mucky and will have to be cleaned up and in the background the seating with priming coat of paint. I hand brush all painting; it's not so much a point of principle, but I don't have an air brush yet. I may get one if I need to re-spray a loco at some stage in the future.

post-10242-0-08639400-1313822554_thumb.jpg

The seating in close-up and painting well progressed. I have some passengers to paint and add and my add the add bit of litter....

post-10242-0-22645700-1313822729_thumb.jpg

post-10242-0-73298200-1313822770_thumb.jpg

This is the rear of the work table with all the bits sat on my previous experience. I thought the Lowmac was rather well utilised in carrying the carriage weight...

Regards

Stu

Guest jim s-w

Hi stu

Good work. A few pointers for you. 12mm wheels are correct for a DMU. It's also worth considering changing the Lima bogies for Hornby ones (from thier 110) as they are much more in proportion.

Hth

Cheers

Jim

Guest oldlugger

Hello Stu,

Good to see you taking the plunge! The wheels are always a problem when converting to one of the finer scales - primarily, as you state, the waiting time for delivery. As a first attempt at converting a piece of RTR stock, it may be wise to order the conversion pack from Ultrascale and grin and bear the wait... or you could be a little more adventurous and use a Black Beetle motor bogie and plain coach wheels to carry out the work. The "hard" parts here are fitting the new motor bogie housing; in reality just a false plastic floor with some holes for the motor holding screw and wiring (this is how I converted my Bachmann 2 EPB); fitting top hat bearings into the trailing bogies, and wiring extra pick ups onto these bogies. The Lima motor bogie side frames will need cutting free from their central plastic partitions and then glueing to spacers onto the motor bogie.

Good luck with it all

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the input fella's. I've realised since (research!) that 12mm is the correct size. It's a shame about the wheelbase on the bogies. I think the plan will be to use the Lima bogies with modification and weathering and also to swallow the pill for the Ultra-scale set... ...I'm hoping I've just made a poor (ish)/difficult choice as a first project that will eventually be looked upon as good experience!

Regards

Stu

Hi Stu, the Lima/Hornby 101 isn't bad at all, and scrubs up nicely.

If you're interested, I wrote a bit about my EM conversion (Black beetle power, DC Kits sideframes - though agree with Jim, Hornby ones are better yet) on my RMWeb blog here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/9-jamies-1960s-southern-scotland/page__tag__101

Afraid the format makes it a bit disjointed, but still..

I've just about finished backdating a Lima RR 2-car into a very passable resemblence of a pre-101 (79xxx) with the front skirt, in early light green livery with speed whiskers (yet to be applied). It actually looks a treat next to the Baccy Cravens units, just needs the Derby LtWt and (I wish) a Wickham to complete the set! I've always liked these models. The Lima couplings have all gone; inter coach coupling is a home-made brass wire & loop. I've also fitted extra pickups to both bogies on the trailer, makes a wonderful difference to running. (and before I forget, I'm happy with the motor on my infamous DIY PWM controller). The normal bogies will probably have Bacchy disc wheels fitted when I can get some.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth looking on Ebay to see if anyone has wheel sets for sale (or indeed putting in a 'WANTED' plea in the 'market place' or DEMU if your a member)... I have a surplus of 'OO' sets for projects not yet started but some might have done the same for 'EM' axles.

Thanks to everyone for your continued interest.

Here's the (minor) development over the past couple of days...

post-10242-0-03981000-1314037344_thumb.jpg

This is some of the passengers added. They are from Dapol unpainted figures. Unfortunately the pack contains 13 people x 3 som the same seated passengers are repeated a bit! For variety I also added some standing figures that were 'cut' at the waist to make them look like they're seated. Also the underframes have recieved a coat of dark grey. I have found this gives a good background weathered appearance before the serious mucking up starts!

post-10242-0-19572500-1314037608_thumb.jpg

This shows the roofs as repainted. The grey is slightly lighter than I would have liked but I will be going for the sooty roof effect with weathering. The yellow along the cantrail area is from the gentle scraping to remove the rain strip to date the unit correctly.

post-10242-0-71097800-1314038146_thumb.jpg

I would have done more work but I discovered this 'Shark' van in Hobbycraft in a 50% off sale t'other day and couldn't resist doing the conversion... ...here it is about half way through weathering with instanter couplings fitted and wheels re-gauged. Next job is to file away about .75mm from each W iron back and reset the yokes/brakes. This is the first time I've owned a Hornby model since about 1982 and the improvement in detail and crispness of mouldings is remarkable. Well done to Hornby! There really isn't much work here at all....

Next job on the Tin Can is to touch up the blue on the sides, paint the first coat of yellow on the ends (railmatch pre-84 warning panel) and start on the touching up of silver round the windows. Then I'll kit out the driving desks. I never drove a 'modernisation DMU' but had quite a few cab rides going passenger on the Reading-Redhill line in the 80's and 90's and can remember the layout quite well - I think? This is what I hope the finished thing will look like...

post-10242-0-33136100-1314038617.jpg

Regards

Stu

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with this, woodyfox - will be interested to see how it turns out!

As has been said, the Lima/Hornby model looks good and repays some careful detailing etc. I've just finished tarting up a green Hornby one and converting it into a 2-car E.R. motor / trailer set, although I didn't re-gauge it. I was meaning to put a post on here about it, you never know I might get around to it...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello dear reader...

Plenty of progress now and the whole thing feels like it coming together nicely. I was spurred back into activity by the arrival of the Ultrascale wheels - and worth every penny they are - thanks if they read this!

I have pretty much finished painting the bodies, apart from muckying. I've added no-smoking and 'first' transfers as well as re-doing the first class yellow strip as Lima's attempt is a bit 'washy'. I'm not sure what to re-number as yet as I would like a York or Hull allocated unit but I can't find depot allocation numbers yet... ...anyone?

I also have the driver's wipers to make and fit yet.

post-10242-0-31779500-1316213060_thumb.jpg

I have also tested the motor and fitted the wheels so it's now, officially, an EM gauge model! I have also fitted screw couplings/sprung drawbar and buffers as well as scratching together the vac/high speed vac/multi jumpers/sockets and air supply pipe. The front of the 101 as always looked busy and once I've finished painting and weathering this should look a bit like the real thing. On another point, does anyone know when bodyside vents under the small window were fitted/removed?

post-10242-0-91521900-1316213459_thumb.jpg

post-10242-0-14116500-1316213541_thumb.jpg

post-10242-0-51917000-1316213621_thumb.jpg

post-10242-0-51961200-1316213692_thumb.jpg

Work will now concentrate on the intermediate connection and my thoughts are mulling over ways to 'close the gap' in terms of a corridor connection. The real things had quite an elaborate one...

I will also be improving the underframe in terms of painting/weathering etc...

Thanks and regards

Stu

Archived