Book on Majorcan Railways?

Mac

Has anyone read the following book(see image) ?

...The Railway To Mallorca...

I'm thinking about adding it to the collection of books

I already have on the islands transport history.

Mac.

post-9584-0-97331100-1313930059_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I haven't read that onme but there is another new one out by I think Martin Bairstow which covers all the railways up to modern times and also some of the shipping to and from the island.

Jamie

I haven't read that onme but there is another new one out by I think Martin Bairstow which covers all the railways up to modern times and also some of the shipping to and from the island.

Jamie

Jamie.

Yes: I think I've got the book you mention...

Railways In Mallorca(And Balearic Shipping)

I got my copy from Bill Hudson.

Though more like a small booklet (65pp), it's packed with quality images.

Mac.

Message from Giles Barnabe

I had a look but am not a member so cannot reply. The Nicaloau S. Cannellas book has been out a while and is very good – I got a lot of background from it, but it is in Mallorquin (a sort of Catalan variant) so not like Castillian Spanish. The same author published a hardback book about 12 years ago, which I was sent a copy of by the Majorcan government, who I think had published it The paperback is an update on his previous work. I haven’t come across the other book that’s mentioned.

All the best

Giles

Message from Giles Barnabe

The Nicaloau S. Cannellas book has been out a while and is very good – I got a lot of background from it, but it is in Mallorquin (a sort of Catalan variant) so not like Castillian Spanish. The same author published a hardback book about 12 years ago, which I was sent a copy of by the Majorcan government, who I think had published it The paperback is an update on his previous work. I haven’t come across the other book that’s mentioned.

All the best

Giles

Thanks for the information Jack.

Sent off for the Canellas Serrano book which hopefully should be worth the price they want.

As I understand it; the book is approx 650 pages and written in Catalan.

Re' the two books by Giles Barnabe... I've got 'Rails Through Majorca' which is very good.

His earlier book was available at Amazon; so I've ordered a copy.

Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

Re' the two books by Giles Barnabe... I've got 'Rails Through Majorca' which is very good.

His earlier book was available at Amazon; so I've ordered a copy.

Mac.

The 1993 Giles Barnabe book arrived from Amazon. (Railways&Tramways Of Majorca)...Its 128pp

mostly mirror what appears in his later version.

A couple of photo's I've not seen before so wasn't a complete waste of money for me.

This isn't to say that the earlier book should be looked down on. It's just that 'Rails Through Majorca'

is bigger and more up to date.

Mac

• 1 month later...

Book finally arrived from Spain.

Not the 'coffee table' size I thought it would be; but a more compact 9"x7" paperback.

Published 2001: 670pp and written in Catalan; so a dictionary will be required.

Only black&white images; but many I've never seen before.

Track plans, Diagrams of Loco's and Stock and useful modellers drawings of the

railway architecture.

Mac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mac

Yes I did manage to ride the train to Soller but not the tram down to the port. We had a good holiday and I managed to see some very varied trains in various ports as we cruised round the Med.

Jamie

Archived