Any ideas as to the parentage of this J50

MiDAS

I purchased this as a box of whitemetal castings plus (no destructions etc) at a swap meet a while back. I wondered if anyone has an idea who made the kit. The box contained all white metal parts and fittings. The exceptions were a set of sprung buffers, Nice brass chassis, Nice coupling rods and making it worth what I paid for it a quality motor and gear box.

The kit is pretty basic and contains no cab detail (including floor) As the chassis and coupling rods were probably Premier components it may have been a body kit.

I have made the kit up with a mashima 1833 plus 40:1 gears and put the one included away for another project. The sound decoder is probably the most valuable thing about it. I try to keep good records of all my stock so would like to suggest a manufacturer in its description

post-5754-0-66599600-1314202648.jpg

Hi Dave,

Afraid not the Ace kit has a brass boiler and footplate. This kit was all whitemetal. I think it is quite an old kit that's why I thought someone may have a dim distance past memory of it. It sort of reminded me of the old 00 kits that consisted of two or three cast bits to fit a triang 0-6-0 chassis.

Cheers

Terry

Hi Dave,

Afraid not the Ace kit has a brass boiler and footplate. This kit was all whitemetal. I think it is quite an old kit that's why I thought someone may have a dim distance past memory of it. It sort of reminded me of the old 00 kits that consisted of two or three cast bits to fit a triang 0-6-0 chassis.

Cheers

Terry

It could have been am old CCW kit. They did several white metal kits back in the 1970s. I remember building their M7 [a real adventure!] and I'm sure they did a J50.

Regards,

David Parkins

I think it could be the old K's kit. I seem to remember that this had a driver moulded into the cab opening. It also would have had its own chassis but that could (should!) well have been ditched and replaced with something better - which I did with with my K's Ivatt 2-6-2T

Looks like a nice loco - just right for pulling the Yorkshire Pullman ECS into Bradford Exchange or a trip goods from Halifax to Greetland!

Ian

CCW looks like a distinct possibility. I remember the driver moulded into the cab well but as Nigel has pointed out that was 4mm. I appreciate your time in replying.

Terry

Almost certainly CCW, Terry. I had one in the late sixties/early seventies - state of the art then!

John

Thanks for the confirmation.Unless of course anyone knows different.

Terry

Archived