Didcot Railway Centre Query

Edge

Hi Guys,

Just a quick set of queries about the GWRS 50th anniversary event on Sep 10th:

Will the broad gauge line be operating?

How accessible is the centre for those in wheelchairs?

Will the GWR Steam railcar be operating?

I cant find any information on the first and alst questions on the centre's website: and I would appreciate tales of anyone's experiences with the second.

Thanks very much Guys,

Edge

Guest baldrick25

From my memory of the site, disabled access is not easy due to the steps which go from the subway up to the entrance. The rest of the site would be reasonably accessible as a railway site, with a few spots out of bounds , like up in the coaling tower. I can't think of any way aound the entrance steps, and I can't see any lifts there in my memory.

This page seems to be the one you want:-

http://www.didcotrai...essibility.html

and this page may help with Firefly etc:-

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/events/calendar.html

• RMweb Gold

Didcot GWRS is accessed through an extension of the station subway which was originally there to give safe access for staff to the yard and loco shed. The station end is level access from the adjacent pavement so should present no problem but the yard end is steps - albeit not too steep but not undercover - I don't know if they are too steep to get a loaded wheelchair up but it certainly wouldn't be an easy task. Beyond that there are some ordinary timber crossings over track and from memory they are not too steeply ramped but they do of course have gaps. Much of the GWS site is 'typical loco shed' ash 'ballast' which usually seems to drain fairly well and isn't sticky although can be dusty on a dry day of course. Access to the shed is through standard with openings etc and might be possible with a wheelchair. Sorry but offhand I can't recall the nature of the access to any of the platform.

If you can somehow get up the steps out of the subway I think you could probably make it to see the broad gauge line without any major difficulty.

Thanks very much for the details guys. Me and my disabled friend are committed to going now in any case: I think I'm just going to have to struggle with her wheelchair up the steps. Hopefully both of us will avoid injury!

I'm glad that 'Firefly' is running: but Im sorry I'll miss the railmotor. I suppose im going to ahve to keep my eye on where she is running in the next few years

Archived