New Hornby 4-4-0 chassis

Following on from Hornbys announcement at the beginning of the year of a new chassis underneath their 4-4-0s. Id just like to know if the chassis under the 2P could be used to update a very old Triang L1? Im not after 100% accurate dimensions. I can live with say the drivers being a couple of mm out.

From what i have gathered from the Hornby announcements, the old Tri-ang (Tri-ang Hornby?) Compound, City and Shire are to be resurrected with loco drives - all those have outside cylinders. Hornby also announced an upgrade of the 2P chassis (but not the body to the dissapointment of some) to encompas loco drive. If it helps, the 2P should have a wb of 6ft + 7ft 2.5in + 9ft 6in, the L1 should have a wb of 6ft 3in + 8ft 0.5in +10ft. On the existing tender powered 2P the bogie slides laterally on a fixed pin so it's not simple a job of replaceing a swinging arm to move the bogie. I'm afraid you will have to workout for yourself if you can live with the differences.

Apart from what was said in Bruce's post, all we can do at the moment is sit tight until Hornby produce the loco drive model and wait

until some brave soul takes up the challenge of seeing what else that chassis will fit under. I'm not trying to be nasty but I don't see

there being many who would be prepared to fork out £80.00 (?) just to get a chassis to stick under a Triang loco body of that age.

Unless you are willing to give it a go yourself, you might have a bit of a wait for the answer.

Jim

Archived