What size wheels?

Jon Gwinnett

I have two of the Walthers model of the Trinity Cement cars, similar to this one:

post-7346-0-20819200-1314384349_thumb.jpg

Now I always thought 100T cars had 36" wheels (something to do with journal sizes?)

However, one Walthers car came with 33" wheels, the other with 36" wheels. Which is correct?

(As an aside, the one on 33" wheels is the correct ride height for the Kadees, the 36" wheels are a tad too high)

Yes I do and am just off to do it. You 'should' be able to delete your own provided it has not had any replies but that may have changed with the new forum. You can always report your own thread with the Report button and that will brig it to our attention.

Yes I do and am just off to do it. You 'should' be able to delete your own provided it has not had any replies but that may have changed with the new forum. You can always report your own thread with the Report button and that will brig it to our attention.

I was going to report it, but was put off by the warning that report was only for offensive messages - didn't want to misuse the facility

I was going to report it, but was put off by the warning that report was only for offensive messages - didn't want to misuse the facility

Sorry - meant to say thank you in the previous post - it was trying to edit the original that got me in a mess in the first place. Anyway, thank you!

36" - Walthers used to put 33" wheels in the kit and early RTR versions of just about everything - when they went over to metal wheels they started doing a bit better thankfully.

33" for 70t / 36" for 100t is still a very good rule of thumb.

Thanks Martyn. I rather thought the big wheels were right.

That being so, the couplers are marginally over height - don't think its enough to cause problems but I might need to file down the top of the truck bolsters to lower them a bit.

Archived