Layout Track Plans

7mm Mick

This is my first ever thread on RM Web so it may not work but here goes any way.huh.gif

My problem is this. I model 1950's to 1960's BR Steam in the East Riding of Yorkshire, concentrating on the Wolds Line ( thats not the problemlaugh.gif ). The Scale I model is 7mm/ft. I have now for some time been researching the area and during a recent visit to the NRM Search Engine managed to find some original NER track plans and building drawings of the location I wanted on micro fische. When I viewed them under a reader I could see they had a 1/200 scale on them and was hopeful that they could be scaled up to the right size. The NRM staff initially said they could biggrin.gif and then decided they couldn'tsad.gif . He giveth and taketh awayhuh.gif

Having a good look round RM Web I have seen various IT programs and other things mentioned but i'm not sure what is best. So I thought I would throw it open to the masses to lead the way. Can these plans be scaled up to suit so I'm able to design layout boards around them and keep as close to the prototype as possible or am I going to have to count bricks etc..........

Mick

.Can these plans be scaled up to suit so I'm able to design layout boards around them and keep as close to the prototype as possible or am I going to have to count bricks etc..........

There's no question that they can be scaled, it's more a question of the best way. The simplest and cheapest might be by gaining access to a photocopier with an enlargement facility, keying in the percentage that relates to the ratio between 1:200 and the scale you're modelling at. You'd need a lot of paper and sticky tape though :D

Mick,

What form do you have these plans in now? Paper? or have you/can you scan them in?

If you've got paper plans, and no way to scan them in, you can draw a scale on (if it doesn't have one already) and take a photograpgh of the whole thing. This can be imported into AutoCad or similar, scaled up, and printed off - either onto paper, or as a PDF (using free programs such as CutePDF writer), which can then be printed anywhere.....

If you can take a photo of them, I'd be happy to re-scale them for you. PM me if you want.

Regards,

Giles

Thanks everyone, this has helped me start to take steps in the right direction. I'm now closer to having working plans from which layout board dimensions can be drawn up. smile.gif

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, sure you can scale drawings up in Photoshop-like programs, but frankly, I'd look at Templot as the answer. Admittedly it costs money, but you can import the original track layout in and design your track directly over the top. Have a look at this video to see how it works.

Usual disclaimer applies. wink.gif

Is Templot something I can use on my own PC or do I have to use a third party. Obviously I would have to use some printing firm in the end as it would take a lot of paper and tape, anda few quids worth of ink cartridges biggrin.gif

Mick

Archived