The Wallingford Branch-GWR engine shed 'chimney' construction

Reference to the above in Paul Karau 'The Wallingford Branch' shows four tall chimneys to exhaust steam/smoke from the shed. Somewhere between building and 1937 they lost their curved sheet metal covers and a 1960's picture shows them missing completely, their positions marked by breaks in the roofline. I am unable to determine what materials were used in their construction.

Given that they were supported above the smoke trough on probably relatively insubstantial supports, I do not think they were built of brick.

I am guessing, from the pictures I have that they were constructed from vertical planks of wood, the joints over-planted with narrower strips.

I'd be grateful for any assistance anyone can give me in this matter,

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Reference to the above in Paul Karau 'The Wallingford Branch' shows four tall chimneys to exhaust steam/smoke from the shed. Somewhere between building and 1937 they lost their curved sheet metal covers and a 1960's picture shows them missing completely, their positions marked by breaks in the roofline. I am unable to determine what materials were used in their construction.

Given that they were supported above the smoke trough on probably relatively insubstantial supports, I do not think they were built of brick.

I am guessing, from the pictures I have that they were constructed from vertical planks of wood, the joints over-planted with narrower strips.

I'd be grateful for any assistance anyone can give me in this matter,

Doug

I'd put good money on vertical wooden planks (possibly asbestos lined, possibly not) as that arrangement was used elsewhere on some small sheds.

Thank you, Mike, seems to be firming up in that direction, I'll need to research further for proportions, interiors etc.

It's the usual story, piccies galore of shiny [and not so shiny] engines, but comparatively little of buildings...

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mike, seems to be firming up in that direction, I'll need to research further for proportions, interiors etc.

It's the usual story, piccies galore of shiny [and not so shiny] engines, but comparatively little of buildings...

Doug

Doug,

The best source is the superb Hawkins and Reeve book about London Division sheds which contains drawings of Wallingford shed although only one dimension is shown for the plan form of the smoke vents (3ft wide overall viewed from the shed ends on the original drawings).

Archived