CV number to reverse locomotive direction

billtee

I will soon be purchasing the excellent model sold by Kernow Model Rail Centre, of Camborne in Cornwall, of the Class 20 two-locomotive weedkiller train, and I hope to have both locomotives fitted with ESU sound chips.

The two locomotives are (permanently?) coupled together with the cabs at the outermost ends, so although both locomotives would have the same address so they would operate as one, one of the locomotives will have to have the motor reversed, so the two locomotives will run in the same direction.

Can someone please give me an idea of which CV I need to change in order to do this, or is there another way?

What would be the value of the CV to make the change? I have altered most of my locomotives' volumes (CV63, bringing the values down to 20-40 to suit each engine), but changing the polarity of the motors is something else!

Thank you, fellow DCC fans,

Bill

In DCC you dont need to do anything regardless of the way the Loco is facing they will both go in the same direction

David

Yes if the locos are being op as separate units or facing same way in consist.

If locos are are in a consist (double head) facing oposite directions each loco will try to go in oposite direction, fight each other.

Adding 1 to value of CV29 will cause loco to op in oposite direction..

Using same address in each loco will work but when op a function in lead loco that function will also op in other loco. EG blow horn in lead loco and horn blows in second loco.

IMHO putting the locos together in a consist would be a much better option.

The consist can then be op with the lead loco and only the functions in lead loco operate( just like real life) when function button is pressed.

BTW Bill, what is you DCC system.

Cheers

Ian

Most systems will allow you to create a consist (Double head) where locos are added with the correct direction of travel.

I often do that with my 20's

Loco one (say 8000) add

Loco two (say 8158) change direction add

See instructions for your DCC controller.

Best to have them as individual loco addresses rather than both the same as you can then control features on each.

Matador, my DCC system is a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2 system which I find very good, though setting up a 'consist' is something I haven't yet tried.

The two Class 20s will be 'bonnet to bonnet' and (as far as I can know when I haven't even got them yet!) always will be, because 1000hp just wasn't sufficient 'grunt' to pull a long train of tanker wagons (which I haven't yet got, either!).

Because of this, one of the two locomotives is always going to be running backwards if they both have the same DCC address, but the idea of having them in a 'consist' with separate addresses for the two locomotives, but just one address for the consist sounds like a Good Idea (trust these bright sparks to come up with the goods!).

I'll be purchasing the weedkilling train locomotives next week when I go to Cornwall, and then the ESU-4 sound chips have to be installed by Howes of Oxford (who do a magnificent job, I've got to say. They've done all the sound installation in my diesels which don't have sound already installed!).

Anyway, thank you lads, I knew you'd come up with the answers!

All the best,

Bill

Archived