Hornby 8F

Saint Johnstoun

Sorry Bernard, I now see the quote you refer to. Hmm, either the "new tooling" refers to some minor component or I'm not seeing it. Going by R3026, referred to in the link, it's still got the scale 6" thick cabsides and roof just like the 8F mouldings right back to tender-drive days.

Got to agree with Jamie on this re lack of evidence of retooling. I wondered at first if the tender could have

been amended slightly to reflect changes made by the Turkish railways but can see no sign of anything

different from the standard UK model, at least to my old eyes.

St Johnstoun's models have air tanks on the plating alongside the boiler but these appear to be missing

from the special edition shown which is strange as they were a distinctive feature of the locos in foreign use.

If there are changes to the tooling, they must be fairly insignificant, either that or there is a bit of "hype" in the air.

Jim

Here are the rest of the conversions.

Top picture represents the Turkish 8f recently repatriated

Perhaps that explains the lack of cow-catcher (or pilot, depending upon whether British or American terminology applies). Otherwise you could explain it as based on the vandalism modification carried out by Colin Garratt ("Around The World In Search of Steam") when he persuaded some bemused Turkish railwaymen to fetch an oxy-acetylene cutter and remove said item from a "Churchill" to make it look "more British" for a still photograph.

The special edition TCDD by Hornby is simply the standard model as previously produced in TCDD livery. My conversions involved fitting Westinghouse air pumps (Dave Alexander) and piping, and air tanks, plus moving the reversing rod to the opposite side, and in one case removing the ejector pipe - only the last two shipped to Turkey retained this feature as they were conversions. The rest of the batch lacked this feature.

The air tanks were made from scrap ball point pen cases.

I have yet to fit cowcatchers as this area is causing difficulty due to the design of front pony truck.

Archived