Upbeach St Mary 2

mullie

Had this mad idea to build a second entry. To be honest it was all part of the creamery idea suggested for my first entry but yet again I can't make it fit in the space available without over powering the very rural nature of this layout. For some time I've had an idea to add a continuous run to the layout using Hornby third radius curves with a rear fiddle yard or even more scenic units, the curved section would not be scenic as the radius is a bit tight for me (the scenic part is Peco code 75) as I've been going backwards and forwards for the last thirteen years. I think I only go round in circles at work but that is another story! So today I took a box file that I had prepared some time ago to slot into the layout went through the odd bits of wood I had and found the necessary ply to create a good track laying surface. To be honest, by the time I was finished there wasn't much left of the box file! The photo shows the 'main line' curving away towards the top and a Peco point that will be shortened lower down. Thoughts at the moment are to create a small passenger station with sleeper built platform, clinker/ash surface and some sort of small station building to act as a view block. The point will create a short bay holding one or two wagons whilst the other line will join the end box file. To get this done by the deadline will be a challenge in itself as work is very busy in September including weekends but I will do my best and as I've wanted to add this to the layout for some time it will be worth it.

I know the general view is to make back scenes higher but as this layout has to be stored whenever we have guests, children's sleepovers etc it needs to be easily stored in my office area at home so I can't use high back scenes.

Photos of the original layout are here

post-12773-0-35057100-1314902876_thumb.jpg

Had this mad idea to build a second entry. To be honest it was all part of the creamery idea suggested for my first entry but yet again I can't make it fit in the space available without over powering the very rural nature of this layout. For some time I've had an idea to add a continuous run to the layout using Hornby third radius curves with a rear fiddle yard or even more scenic units, the curved section would not be scenic as the radius is a bit tight for me (the scenic part is Peco code 75) as I've been going backwards and forwards for the last thirteen years. I think I only go round in circles at work but that is another story! So today I took a box file that I had prepared some time ago to slot into the layout went through the odd bits of wood I had and found the necessary ply to create a good track laying surface. To be honest, by the time I was finished there wasn't much left of the box file! The photo shows the 'main line' curving away towards the top and a Peco point that will be shortened lower down. Thoughts at the moment are to create a small passenger station with sleeper built platform, clinker/ash surface and some sort of small station building to act as a view block. The point will create a short bay holding one or two wagons whilst the other line will join the end box file. To get this done by the deadline will be a challenge in itself as work is very busy in September including weekends but I will do my best and as I've wanted to add this to the layout for some time it will be worth it.

I know the general view is to make back scenes higher but as this layout has to be stored whenever we have guests, children's sleepovers etc it needs to be easily stored in my office area at home so I can't use high back scenes.

Photos of the original layout are here

Made some progress over the last few days, track is laid, wired and sprayed a basic colour, back scene is painted and some potential buildings and vehicles sorted out. Station building is based on Mardocks on the Buntingford branch in Hertfordshire, signal box is Wills, goods shed is freelance based on Wills parts (the garages I seem to remember), Land Rover Series 1 is Oxford Diecast and the lorry is coopercraft. All will need some work doing on them to finish off.

post-12773-0-22462300-1315055747_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-02405500-1315055791_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-27300500-1315055827_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-08006400-1315055873_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-86193000-1315055909_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-71450500-1315055948_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-86621600-1315055986_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress this week, ballasting completed, basic ground cover including the platform. Platform is built out of card and balsa and covered with barbeque ash and fine grey ballast. Still some work needed to get the surface right on the platform, excess needs removing. Waiting shelter is Ratio, sign is Wills with uprights out of rail. Ballast uses fine woodland scenics on the right hand line (curving away) and a mix of ballast and ash on the left

post-12773-0-61949200-1316354555_thumb.jpeg

post-12773-0-88573600-1316354585_thumb.jpg

All looking good Mullie, I like the buildings especially the half brick/timber one.

Like you space is always a problem, I have an idea to build a chest of draws with narrow draws and build micro layouts within each draw, that way I can have as many layouts as I have draws and they layout gets safely stored away and the top of the draws can be used either as a work bench or for "putting things on" , the only draw back is the cost of the wood.

All looking good Mullie, I like the buildings especially the half brick/timber one.

Like you space is always a problem, I have an idea to build a chest of draws with narrow draws and build micro layouts within each draw, that way I can have as many layouts as I have draws and they layout gets safely stored away and the top of the draws can be used either as a work bench or for "putting things on" , the only draw back is the cost of the wood.

The draws, when open , could be connected by spirals all one one big multi level level layout or the draws could be laid end to end to make a longer layout, oh what fun!

Upbeach is very flexible, the original layout had just four box files including one for the fiddle yard. As a result of the challenge I have added another two and so the layout can be end to end in original form but I hope to use Upbeach 2 module to add a continuous run, possibly with more box files down the other side. The curves are set track third radius, a real change from the SMP I usually work with, especially as I build most of my points to fit the site rather than from templates.Revisiting Upbeach has been quite a refreshing break from building the next part of my Pott Row layout where I am currently installing a Peco turntable.

Needed to get things finished so here are the final photos taken this weekend. This module was more of a challenge as I don't usually work with radii this tight (Pott Row minimum is mainly 3ft although the new extension narrows to two in places). I couldn't make the platform work as a passenger halt so it has become a loading dock for various items and I finally found a use for the pillbox I built years ago! Many thanks to those who have taken an interest.

Archived