Bachmann Mineral Wagon (MCO) Prototype

Jim T

• RMweb Premium

A while ago, Bachmann did their 16T mineral (the moulding without the top flap doors) as B121830, with its TOPS code of MCO.

Many of their more carefully decorated wagons recently have been done from photos, often from Paul Bartlett's website. I can't find this particular wagon on there, and wondered if anyone knew where the picture had come from.

Also, would I be right in my recollection that unbraked 16T minerals were pretty much a thing of the past after about 1980? I've seen pictures of a few in departmental service to about 1983 - but most of these were with the top flap door, and some had slots cut in the side sheets to prevent overloading when used for ballast spoil. I'd be looking for an unbraked no top flap door 16 tonner in use in 1983-1985...

Cheers

Jim

A while ago, Bachmann did their 16T mineral (the moulding without the top flap doors) as B121830, with its TOPS code of MCO.

Many of their more carefully decorated wagons recently have been done from photos, often from Paul Bartlett's website. I can't find this particular wagon on there, and wondered if anyone knew where the picture had come from.

Something I'd like to know also :)

Also, would I be right in my recollection that unbraked 16T minerals were pretty much a thing of the past after about 1980? I've seen pictures of a few in departmental service to about 1983 - but most of these were with the top flap door, and some had slots cut in the side sheets to prevent overloading when used for ballast spoil. I'd be looking for an unbraked no top flap door 16 tonner in use in 1983-1985...

IIRC the OPC 'Illustrated History of BR Wagons' by Bartlett et al records two significant dates, one being 1981 for their last use in Yorkshire (which AFAIK included shipment coal to Goole docks) and 1983 for the last ones in S Wales

An unfitted wagon by 1985 would only have been in engineers' use as a ZHO or similar, and even by then they were being replaced by fitted 16 tonners in such use

Archived