Athearn 'Special Edition' series.

Willy

Has anyone got experience of the older Athearn 'Special Edition' models as made in the USA before the advent of the 'RTR' range? As far as detail is concerned I assume they fall somewhere between the old ‘blue box’ range and todays models but what about the motor and running quality, etc.

Cheers

Willy

I've got a BNSF GP60 Dummy / GP50 Power set. Basically a blue box loco that comes with all handrails fitted etc. My pair are Santa Fe patched for BNSF. Motor didn't change much into the RTR era. Once run in they are pretty good in my opinion. If chipping the motor they are pretty smooth.

I plan to fit Kadees on mine and hardened TCS chip onto motor.

Hope this helps.

Donny

Has anyone got experience of the older Athearn 'Special Edition' models as made in the USA before the advent of the 'RTR' range? As far as detail is concerned I assume they fall somewhere between the old ‘blue box’ range and todays models but what about the motor and running quality, etc.

Cheers

Willy

Willy, they're basically blue box with fancy paint jobs...

Thank you both for your comments. That is interesting what you say Craig because the one I spotted on eBay was an NS Dash 9-40CW in the "Operation Lifesaver" scheme. In other words, a fancy paint job.

Willy

Archived