F7 and S7

Matador

F7, usually called finescale, is what many 7mm:1ft modellers use. Peco track can be used with finescale models.

S7, also known as Scale7 defines a standard for closer to scale track and wheel standards. The usual wider gauge and narrower flangways.

You cannot run finescale and Scale7 models on the same track, the standards are too different.

Regards,

David.

F7, usually called finescale, is what many 7mm:1ft modellers use. Peco track can be used with finescale models.

S7, also known as Scale7 defines a standard for closer to scale track and wheel standards. The usual wider gauge and narrower flangways.

You cannot run finescale and Scale7 models on the same track, the standards are too different.

Regards,

David.

Question answeed thankyou

David

I am currently helping a friend build his 0 Gauge layout and we mistakenly thought PECO bullhead track was to Finescale standards and the flat-bottomed was "Universal". Unfortunately, too late, we have realised they are both to Universal standards (i.e. they will accept fine or coarse wheel standards) which actually means Finescale wheels tend to drop down into the gap when passing through the frogs! Next time we'll use C&L.

I know but I didn't want to introduce coarse scale into the discussion and confuse things further, on the assumption it was not relevant. Lots of FS modellers seem to use Peco track without problems.

Regards,

David.

• 1 month later...

Finescale wheels will run through PECO points okay but unsprung 4 wheel wagons tend to clunk a bit whilst doing so.

HSB

Strange, I've never had a problem when I used Peco point work on both Lenches Bridge and Ashwood Basin.

Mike

To stop the drop you need to adjust the check rails to true fine scale standards, they are set to univeral as bought. If you look at the side you will see two screws for adjustment, our club track has approx 25 peco points and only one still has a bit of a drop but it is not noticable unless you now its there!

regards

mike g

• RMweb Gold

You can achieve excellent running on Peco track and turnouts. Ken Payne's well known layout uses it and I never had any problems running there. That said I prefered to use C+L for my layouts, although I have used some I had to hand for a 'quickie'. The double slip seems to have a little more drop with finescale wheels but they go through ok.

Don

There will always be a certain amount of wheel drop with Peco turnouts because they are trying to keep all the 7mm modeller happy, so they have allowed that tolerance to cater for fine or fairly coarse scale wheels, fine or coarse scale flanges and slightly out of gauge wheel sets. Like the old saying goes " you can't keep all the people happy all the time, but you can keep some people happy some of the time " :senile: :no: .

ATB, Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have had some problems with the Peco curved points, that I needed to use on my layout for space reasons. I find that the outer rail is a bit thin where it accepts the moving blade and causes some pony trucks to derail if they don't have sufficient side control.

I would be interested to know whether problems occurred when traversing in a facing direction or a trailing one.

Don

To stop the drop you need to adjust the check rails to true fine scale standards, they are set to univeral as bought. If you look at the side you will see two screws for adjustment, our club track has approx 25 peco points and only one still has a bit of a drop but it is not noticable unless you now its there!

regards

mike g

I assume you are using flat-bottomed track as there is no way of adjusting the bull-head.

HSB

I would be interested to know whether problems occurred when traversing in a facing direction or a trailing one.

Don

Both directions are prone to this although I have found that long wheel base wagons seem to drop more probably because of the longer pivotal over hang from the centreline. And also I have a long wheelbase BR/SR parcel van which has compensation on both axles and that still has a tendency to drop down, so it's nothing to do with springing. I only use the Peco points on my test track, and as for the main layout I use C & L and I have never had any problems with those because I build a much finer tolerance between the knuckles and the vee.

ATB, Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

I assume you are using flat-bottomed track as there is no way of adjusting the bull-head.

HSB

Both directions are prone to this although I have found that long wheel base wagons seem to drop more probably because of the longer pivotal over hang from the centreline. And also I have a long wheelbase BR/SR parcel van which has compensation on both axles and that still has a tendency to drop down, so it's nothing to do with springing. I only use the Peco points on my test track, and as for the main layout I use C & L and I have never had any problems with those because I build a much finer tolerance between the knuckles and the vee.

ATB, Martyn.

The few Peco turnouts which I have can be adjusted for the check rail gap. There is no provision on the double slip so far as I am aware. All Bullhead.

Having got used to building turnouts in EM and 2mm I naturally built my first ones in 0 using C+L parts and much prefer to do that. But I enjoy track building. The few I aquired were indtended for uses in a fiddle yard but have been used for a quickie layout ( never finished) prior to a house move.

Don

ATB, Martyn.

I may be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but have you checked the back to back on your wagons etc., I have found by moving them out a fraction I get better results.

webbo

Hi Webbo,

The back to backs on all my rolling stock are fine, and if there is a regular derailment with a particular wagon that is always the first thing I check rather than the turnouts themselves. Like I said I only have a couple of Peco points and they are on my test track, the main layout has C & L turnouts and work fine. If you put a Peco turnout along side a C & L turnout you would see quite a noticeable gap between the knuckle and the vee on the Peco one.

ATB, Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

David Jenkinson observed that the Slaters wheels he was using wre about 29.5mm BtoB and for his layout he tightened the flangeways to achieve better running. He mentioned it in a piece for the Gazette. This is feasible using C+L components. Others since have reduced the gauge a little to tighten flangeways. Both approaches show clearly the degree of slop in normal 0 gauge standards. However needin to use 'corners' rather than decent curves I will stick with normal standards as the extra slop may be needed.

Don

Archived