Langley Kit (N Gauge) - LNER Sentinal Railcar Kit

Can anyone suggest a suitable chassis for this vintage kit?

The box says "adapted to fit Lifelike GP40 chassis". But I cant find this chassis on the web. Im presuming they arent made anymore?

Im also presuming that a modern chassis will give much better running...............? :unsure:

Any advice gratefully received.

Guest Natalie Graham

There's a few Lifelike locos on ebay at the moment but I didn't spot a GP-40. There's GP-38s but I have no idea how similar, or otherwise, the chassis are. I had one of these kits years ago when they first came out and the Lifelike chassis was ok but the motor was a bit primitive, even then.

I'm not sure which type the Langley model represents but there's a very helpful page here: http://www.lner.info.../sentinel.shtml which should tell you and it has the wheelbases in a table further down. Compare that with this useful table of available chassis and you should be able to find something suitable, although fixing it to the body kit might need a bit of ingenuity.

• RMweb Gold

I think the GP38 chassis should do it, But I think you should look for an chassis of the late 80s/early 90s production, they are no longer available at Walthers, but maybe on Ebay. Here a link to Walthers http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/433-7841

I had one in the early 80s, and it was my smoothest runner.

Markus

The problem with all these chassis is that the kit is for an articulated Sentinel, not the later ones with a rigid body. The body should pivot near the front, a bit like a bendy-bus. Why Langley could not have modelled one of the later Sentinels with a rigid body is one of the great mysteries in the universe. Also, the wheelbase of the loco section and the coach bogie were quite short.

You might find a Kato Shorty bogie or the Tomix equivalent chassis works OK - saw it in half to extend the wheelbase and attach one bogie rigidly to the engine end. You can usually get them on eBay. Only one bogie is powered on these though, so will be no good if your layout has steep gradients.

Archived