Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

JLTRT Mk1 Horsebox

neal cooper

I've just got to stages 9 and 10 in the 'instructions' and i'm struggling with folding up and locating 'all the etched, white metal and brass components' from the murky pictures of black components on a black painted underframe.

Anyone had experience of the kit who can tell me what to do with the fold lines on the brake pullers? Also, what exactly are the brake puller keepers? Anyone got a decent picture of the finished item I can follow?

Any help gratefully received!

Regards, Neal

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got to stages 9 and 10 in the 'instructions' and i'm struggling with folding up and locating 'all the etched, white metal and brass components' from the murky pictures of black components on a black painted underframe.

Anyone had experience of the kit who can tell me what to do with the fold lines on the brake pullers? Also, what exactly are the brake puller keepers? Anyone got a decent picture of the finished item I can follow?

Regards, Neal

Hi Neal,

The HMRS BR MK1 COACH book by Keith Parkin may be useful - I seem to remember seeing a MK1 HB in there.

Also, does the BR CCT have a similar underframe?

CME

• RMweb Gold

Regards, Neal

I have a PDF of the original instructions they used to be downloadeable off the JLTRT website you can zoom in on this. If you want a copy contact me off list and I will email it to you its a pretty large file though about 3.5Mb

Regards

Mark J

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. The Parkin book has a couple of pictures but the clearest has the doors open and down covering the underframe. the diagram shown is of the body with no underframe detail. It talks about the underframe being a shortened version of the CCT one, but no decent picture or drwing of that either! Still looking for a clear view or diagram of the brake gear on the BR mark 1 Horsebox, or some idea of what to do with the etches in the kit! Hope someone out there can help...

Regards, Neal

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. The Parkin book has a couple of pictures but the clearest has the doors open and down covering the underframe. the diagram shown is of the body with no underframe detail. It talks about the underframe being a shortened version of the CCT one, but no decent picture or drwing of that either! Still looking for a clear view or diagram of the brake gear on the BR mark 1 Horsebox, or some idea of what to do with the etches in the kit! Hope someone out there can help...

Regards, Neal

Hi Neal,

Sorry to hear about that....can Laurie at JLTRT help? I think that Brian Daniels has built the CCT - perhaps between the two of them they could come up with the answers?

ATB

CME

I have not seen a JLTRT nedderbox. If I saw one I could probably have an educated guess where the parts went. You do surprise me though that the instructions pictures are of little use :paint: :scratchhead: Not their strong point are they.

Hi Brian,

Mmm - I had similar with a van kit of theirs too......

I dont usually 'volunteer' others - so apologies if I did - I was just thinking along the lines of if the MK 1 HB underframe is the same as a CCT, then the answer may be to look at a JLTRT CCT underframe(?)

I was tempted by the JLTRT MK1 HB, yet plumped to start with a PSD WR HB, which whilst out of our chosen era, is a nice model and my dad rode in one for a couple of days back in the 1950's :mosking: transporting a moody horse that could ' take 'yer eye out with one kick' (or words to that effect!).

The PSD kit is traditional in its build and all of the bodywork corners fitted really well, yet faced a few challenges with the solebars - and their strength when fitted, still puzzled by that as never encountered such with a PSD kit before......

The JLTRT kit, I am guessing probably has wonderful bodywork - ready moulded one piece - and a poly bag full of WM bits for the underframe and some cad/prototype photos?

Why is it that JLTRT claim to supply accurate kits with good quality photo lead instructions, yet err dont?! - IMHHO so near yet err so far!!

Sorry to hijack the Thread.

ATB guys,

CME.

post-11256-0-75287900-1317907528.jpg

post-11256-0-86081900-1317907554.jpg

post-11256-0-01959500-1317907586.jpg

No worries about the hi-jack. Would like to post pictures of my Parkside horsebox and my Mark 1 part built but despite reading all the 'how to' guide on posting pictures, I can't find the relevant button to access any uploading features , so will call it a day. Sorry.

No worries about the hi-jack. Would like to post pictures of my Parkside horsebox and my Mark 1 part built but despite reading all the 'how to' guide on posting pictures, I can't find the relevant button to access any uploading features , so will call it a day. Sorry.

Hi Neal,

Have you tried the 'More Reply Options' button (it's at the bottom lower right of the window next to the 'Post' button) and 'Full Editor' (if required).

Hope that I am not teaching one to suck eggs :mosking: ...I had to be shown these things too :scratchhead: :yes:

When you have browsed you must then remember to add the photo(s) to the Post, you may need to resize the photo too.

I hope that helps - I am looking forward to seeing the photos of your work.

ATB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 1 month later...

CME,

Here is the pic of my Parkside GW Horsebox. The flash has been a bit harsh and washed out the weathering (and hidden the underframe). Will try to get a photo on a sunny day next April when summer returns for it's traditional two weeks!

post-11463-0-82064300-1320880254_thumb.jpg

Picture of the progress so far on the JLTRT Mark 1 Horsebox showing all the bits you get in the box. The sides and ends have been painted and the underframe assembled up to the point of constructing the brake gear linkages, along with the interior partitions on the dummy floor. The top picture shows a sample page of the instruction sheet.

post-11463-0-62100800-1320881727_thumb.jpg

post-11463-0-00730000-1320881775_thumb.jpg

Wow, those instructions don't look to bad, you should try building one of jltrt's 57xx or 42xx loco kits. Instructions ? what instructions !!, great kits but instructions are not their strong point.

ATB, Martyn.

Hi Neal,

The photo looks just right looks a great rendtion of the kit too - I know what you mean about the weather!

As I said, nice work on the PSD HB - did you use any added extras (I have some CPL parts to add to mine). BTW did you paint the groom's quarters? I am in two minds, do the stage trick and paint the interior matt black or paint the seats as an approximation of the orange broquet of the era (which will then draw any viewers' eyes to the interior and any detail/no detail in there), I was in two minds whether or not to detail the interior groom's quarters etc., then decided to just get on with the assembly, which will make detailing such, now, more of a challenge!

Tell me, how are the 'W' Irons assembled/what are they made from on the JLTRT MK1 HB? Are they their whitemetal versions as with these (please see attached photos)? I must say they presented a lot of challenges to get the compensation to work and the wheel sets wouldnt fit (solebars too narrow or issues with 'W' irons/axleboxes etc....???), which was then highlighted with the fitting of the buffers too.......

With the JLTRT kit did you prepaint the chassis, sides and ends prior to assy. or did they come moulded in those colours?

All very nice work BTW, glad to see the photos too!!

ATVB

CME

post-11256-0-00196200-1320938276_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-76892100-1320938286_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-99972300-1320938301_thumb.jpg

Wow, those instructions don't look to bad, you should try building one of jltrt's 57xx or 42xx loco kits. Instructions ? what instructions !!, great kits but instructions are not their strong point.

ATB, Martyn.

Martyn,

Your right, there are a lot worse instructions out there. They're fine right up to the point where you get no mention of all the fiddly bits that go underneath, and photos that show it all, hidden in shadow!

'Close, but no cigar' as the saying goes.

Cheers, Neal

Hi Neal,

The photo looks just right looks a great rendtion of the kit too - I know what you mean about the weather!

As I said, nice work on the PSD HB - did you use any added extras (I have some CPL parts to add to mine). BTW did you paint the groom's quarters? I am in two minds, do the stage trick and paint the interior matt black or paint the seats as an approximation of the orange broquet of the era (which will then draw any viewers' eyes to the interior and any detail/no detail in there), I was in two minds whether or not to detail the interior groom's quarters etc., then decided to just get on with the assembly, which will make detailing such, now, more of a challenge!

Tell me, how are the 'W' Irons assembled/what are they made from on the JLTRT MK1 HB? Are they their whitemetal versions as with these (please see attached photos)? I must say they presented a lot of challenges to get the compensation to work and the wheel sets wouldnt fit (solebars too narrow or issues with 'W' irons/axleboxes etc....???), which was then highlighted with the fitting of the buffers too.......

With the JLTRT kit did you prepaint the chassis, sides and ends prior to assy. or did they come moulded in those colours?

All very nice work BTW, glad to see the photos too!!

ATVB

CME

CME,

I painted the interior of the grooms compartment only, from recollection 2 colours split at the waistline, though can't remember what colours and frankly the windows are small enough to reveal little inside. I replaced the door handles with brass ones and brake levers with ABS whitemetal ones. I noticed after posting the picture that the red primer is showing through where the roof gets handled: typical!

In the JLTRT Mark 1 HB kit the axleguards are whitemetal and fitted with a minimum off fuss in the slots provided. The compensation is allowed for in the axleboxes sliding in the guards. Theyre not yet made captive but down the club room it runs very freely and takes the pointwork at speed fine with a decent push.

The kit has had sub-assemblies sprayed, it is supplied in grey.

Are your pictures of a JLTRT box van underframe? I've built a Fruit D bot not tried one of the shorter underframed vans yet. The parts look very nice, with no evidence of the struggle!

I'm just embarking on my second JLTRT Presflo, though the latest one needs adapting to represent the twin silo variant used for salt and slate powder traffic. They're very satisfying to build when you eventually see the finished article.

Cheers, Neal

CME,

I painted the interior of the grooms compartment only, from recollection 2 colours split at the waistline, though can't remember what colours and frankly the windows are small enough to reveal little inside. I replaced the door handles with brass ones and brake levers with ABS whitemetal ones. I noticed after posting the picture that the red primer is showing through where the roof gets handled: typical!

In the JLTRT Mark 1 HB kit the axleguards are whitemetal and fitted with a minimum off fuss in the slots provided. The compensation is allowed for in the axleboxes sliding in the guards. Theyre not yet made captive but down the club room it runs very freely and takes the pointwork at speed fine with a decent push.

The kit has had sub-assemblies sprayed, it is supplied in grey.

Are your pictures of a JLTRT box van underframe? I've built a Fruit D bot not tried one of the shorter underframed vans yet. The parts look very nice, with no evidence of the struggle!

I'm just embarking on my second JLTRT Presflo, though the latest one needs adapting to represent the twin silo variant used for salt and slate powder traffic. They're very satisfying to build when you eventually see the finished article.

Cheers, Neal

Hi Neal,

I shall replace the door handles etc. too and modify the brake handles....

I agree, the groom's compartment and associated windows are small and such seem hardly visible - I see in Railway Modeller that a fellow who loves horses and railways has super-detailed the interior of several horse boxes!

The attached photos of the chassis are a JLTRT 'Shoc Van', with a similar method of construction, thanks for the kind words, I did my best to hide the hours of filing,fettling and parring down!

Glad to hear that the JLTRT HB went together well, the shoc van was a lot more challenging and I aint the only one, some pro modellers have had the same issues...

BTW digital photos are cruel to our modelling - sorry to hear about the paint issue.

ATB

CME

• 10 years later...

Ten years on, (TEN YEARS?!) and I’ve got the bits out of the box whilst isolating with COVID and Google searched for details of the interior and brake gear. First search return is this thread of mine on here! In the intervening decade has anyone finished one so that they can share some underframe photos please.

At least I got the windows in today, trial fitted the brake levers and undercoated the interior partitions. What colours do I need for the groom compartments interior?

• Friendly/supportive 1

Here are the main brake rigging components. The two middle items are for connecting the brake cylinder and the pull rods respectively to the cross rod between the V hangers. There are 4 yokes to connect the brake shoes to the pull rods and I’m just not sure which ones go where as there is a difference with at least one of them. Which ones do the adjusters attach to and how?

I’ve also belatedly realised that these vehicles had end strengthening added and there were extra ends in the kit, two with the extra bars and two without. No mention of this in the instructions and I’ve managed to put the etched steps on the wrong end part. Hoping the nice people at MM1 can supply me with a replacement etch!

C9182C35-4923-45A4-9600-E26BBC6864AE.jpeg

• Like 2