Welsh Narrow Gauge Layout in OO-9

QRModeller

Hi everyone.

I got bored during a six hour break at uni today and as I had my laptop with me, I had a little play on Anyrail and came up with this:

post-11907-0-42742400-1315825795_thumb.jpg

The dimensions are 3500mm x 1000mm and as the title says, the layout is in OO-9. I got the idea from a dream I had last night about a layout exactly the same as this but in O-16.5 (I did try and draw the layout in that scale but it wouldn't fit into the space).

It basically features a terminus to two single track mainlines with small goods yard and loco facilities. Scenery wise, the layout is divided into two sections by a mountain range that takes up about half of the available space. To one side is the station, goods yard and engine shed and to the other, a single line running along the edge of a ravine. The line runs through a cutting before crossing the ravine and disappearing into another mountain. Behind the scenes, the two mainlines would be connected together again before the fiddle yard which could be a traverser, cassette or ladder of sidings.

Operation wise, passenger services come to and from both lines along with goods vans (and/or tankers too if the yard was modified). The exchange sidings are for slate trains. Loaded wagons come in from the line behind the engine shed and leave on the other line with empties running the other way. The engine shed would have appropriate facilities (coal, water etc.) and should be able to hold 3 or 4 locos.

In the rear left corner, there would be a village but I haven't shown it as the main focus is the mountains and the ravine.

I don't know much about narrow gauge prototypes but this what it looks like to me. Also, the track lenghts haven't been measured to suit any specific models, I just estimated.

Finally, just so everyone knows, I'm not planning on building this layout but I put it up here incase anyone else would like to use it as is or modify it. If you would like the anyrail file, it will probably have to be pm'd or emailed because I can't upload it into this post.

Thanks for looking.

Matt.

• 2 weeks later...

The right hand side I like - very WHR like with the railway hanging on the edge of the valley with the water below plus a nice opportunity for a suitably scenic bridge.

I'm not sure the left side quite rings true for me for the UK, the two 'main' lines and the facilities seem a bit grand. I'd also have expected one long siding for handing the wagons over (or use the station given its large provision) not small ones. But then I guess if one was assumed to be feeding several quarries you'd need somewhere to assemble them into a sensible train.

Hi scots region and Etched Pixels, thanks for the comments.

@ EP, like I said in the OP, I don't know much anything about Welsh prototype and I wasn't working from any known dimensions. I was thinking when I drew it that anyone who would like to build it or something similar would modifiy the plan accordingly. ;)

Matt.

Hi scots region.

My opinion on Anyrail - it is a really good program. Easy to understand and use (it comes with a pdf users manual which is about 40 pages IIRC), there is a large library of track (and scenic embelishment) manufacturers like PECO, Hornby, Atlas, Life-Like, Kato etc. The program allows you to work in metric (both mm & cm) and imperial (decimal and fractional style). You can also save images of the trackplans or export them to another program called Trainplayer (although I don't know anything about that program).

One thing though, if you use the trial version like me, you can still use the program as you would if it was the full version but you are limited to 50 items (track and objects combined). However, you can draw sections of your desired plan and then take a screen capture or save images of the plans and then, if you are skilled with photoshop or even MS Paint, combine them together to get the full plan.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

I'm not sure if I need to ad a discalimer or not but I will anyway just incase. I'm not connected in any way, shape or form to the company that makes Anyrail, I'm just a happy user.

Archived