Gaugemaster DCC55 Prodigy wired interface.

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Gaugemaster DCC55 PC interface with their Prodigy Advance yet and if so what are your thoughts, I recieved one a few days ago and have downloaded the software but with Park Road TMD lying in bits in the garage I haven't had a chance for a "play" yet.

Its basically a cable to connect the Prodigy system to a USB port on a computer with seperate downloadable software which provides two "cabs" on your desktop.

I should get it going over the next few days, I'll let you all know how I get on!

Cheers

Craig

Yup!

Works fine under windoze xp. (Don't forget to download the drivers for your operating system, unzip them and install them when requested - but, hey, you probably knew that!)

Doesn't seem to want to play (yet) under a proper operating system like Linux, though, but after some Wine, I'll try again!:icon_thumbsup2:

(For the uninitiated, Wine = Windoze Emulator for Linux!)

In addition, it looks like you can have two throttles per instance of the program.

This suggests it might be possible to control as many locos as you want simply by opening more throttle screens!

Have fun experimenting.

If RR&Co supports the hardware then yes. Personally, I prefer something like RailCom or JMRI, both of which are free! Railcom was running several layouts at Eurospoor last year, including several peripheral items (traverser fiddle yard, for example) on one of the layouts.

HTH

John,

Could you use the hardware and then get hold different software - like RailRoad & Co?

Not for the Gaugemaster/MRC PC interface. So far MRC is adopting the "we sell everything you could possibly ever want" position and hasn't released details of how its interface works to third parties (MRC have been asked). Consequently JMRI doesn't have an interface to the MRC/Gaugemaster system. I think RR&Co will be in the same position.

Of course, someone might reverse engineer the protocols to get round MRC's reluctance to release details, but, reading threads posted elsewhere I don't think anyone in the JMRI community is planning to take that route.

Not for the Gaugemaster/MRC PC interface. So far MRC is adopting the "we sell everything you could possibly ever want" position and hasn't released details of how its interface works to third parties (MRC have been asked). Consequently JMRI doesn't have an interface to the MRC/Gaugemaster system. I think RR&Co will be in the same position.

Looks a similar story with Rocrail, too. However, the Prodigy and Lenz USB bricks use the same drivers, so that gets us a bit further up the ISO 7-layer network tree, but still not far enough!

Archived