Which Presflos on Southern?

aussiebrfan

Hello to all,

After recently purchasing and reading through Issue No 12 of The Southern Way I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a query.

On page 95 at the top there is a fine B+W photo of 501 Squadron.

The caption to the photo reads as follows - " No. 34085 501 Squadron between Lyndhurst Rd and Beaulieu Rd with the 15.12 Westbury to Poole freight. The working appears to be comprised almost entirely of Presflo cement wagons. 18.05, 31 July 1965."

My question that I'm hoping one of you fine folk may be of assistance with is what company would these Presflos have been from ie. Blue Circle, etc. or a mixture. As I would like to model a representation of this working. Also would this cement have been for export or local distribution? Thanking you in advance, Glenn

Looking at my earliest 'Baker' atlas, Poole seemed to have two Blue Circle depots; one at Poole itself, the other at Hamworthy- might this last have been for export traffic?

At one time, there would seem to have been a Rugby Cement terminal as well; ' British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' (Hendry) has a shot of an example of both companies' Presflos being repaired at nearby Brockenhurst.

Looking at my earliest 'Baker' atlas, Poole seemed to have two Blue Circle depots; one at Poole itself, the other at Hamworthy- might this last have been for export traffic?

At one time, there would seem to have been a Rugby Cement terminal as well; ' British Railway Goods Wagons in Colour' (Hendry) has a shot of an example of both companies' Presflos being repaired at nearby Brockenhurst.

The Hamworthy terminal was at the junction, so a long way from the port - I doubt that it was an export terminal, but would very much like to hear from anyone who knows otherwise, as our club is building the Junction in 4mm at the moment.

Which gives me an excuse to repeat my request about photo's of the cement terminal - if you have any, please could we have a look? I have to scratchbuild this at some point.

Also if anyone ever photographed the ex-Turkish 8F that was undergoing restoration at Hamworthy after the cement terminal closed, please could you have a look in the background and see if any of the terminal buildings are visable?

Thanks,

Jon

Hello to all,

After recently purchasing and reading through Issue No 12 of The Southern Way I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a query.

On page 95 at the top there is a fine B+W photo of 501 Squadron.

The caption to the photo reads as follows - " No. 34085 501 Squadron between Lyndhurst Rd and Beaulieu Rd with the 15.12 Westbury to Poole freight. The working appears to be comprised almost entirely of Presflo cement wagons. 18.05, 31 July 1965."

My question that I'm hoping one of you fine folk may be of assistance with is what company would these Presflos have been from ie. Blue Circle, etc. or a mixture. As I would like to model a representation of this working. Also would this cement have been for export or local distribution? Thanking you in advance, Glenn

This photograph http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/apcmpresflo/hb92909e#hb92909e is of Westbury. For your period the wagons would have been yellow with the large plates - ie just as Airfix illustrated them.

Poole was one of the few yards I got a flat refusal to let me photograph during the later 1970s.

Regards

Paul Bartlett

The Associated Portland Cement Company's terminal at Dawkins Road Industrial Estate opened in 1975 and replaced the old depot on Hamworthy New Quay, the depot closed in 1988. An illustration can be found in Rails to Poole Harbour Appendix Two - Oakwood Press.

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Select the satellite view

Hello again gents, thanks for your insight.

Firstly Tim, great photo of Poole Blue Circle depot. Thanks for the link. Up until 2009 when I returned to Australia I was working at Poole Speedway/Greyhound track which I presume is there in the background then, was also a member of Poole and District Model Railway club which meets in the old railway building just to the left of the signal box, small world. Had no idea this depot used to be there! When did it close?

Secondly Im modelling roughly between 1955-65 and wondering what livery the Presflos would have been then. In the Southern Way photo some appear to have the small round advertising shield/plate (not sure what its called) ala Bachmann 38-270A which is Bauxite and some a larger rectangle shaped one ala Bachmann 38-271 which is in Grey livery. Maybe Im answering my own question but would a mixture of both have been correct?

Paul you mention an Airfix one in yellow, not familiar with this, anyone got any photos/links of real or model?

Brian thanks for pointing out the photo in Hendrys book, just dug out my own copy, great shot. Anyone know why two different companies vans together, were they pooled together or interchanged? I may start another post to ask about the wagon repair sidings at Brockenhurst.

As always thanking you in advance and happy modelling.

Regards Glenn.

. In the Southern Way photo some appear to have the small round advertising shield/plate (not sure what its called) ala Bachmann 38-270A which is Bauxite and some a larger rectangle shaped one ala Bachmann 38-271 which is in Grey livery. Maybe Im answering my own question but would a mixture of both have been correct?

I dont see why not, BCC had a lot of the BR wagons set aside for their own use so it would be unlikely that they never got mixed. Some wagons could be set aside for particular grades of cement though, which adds a complicating factor.

Paul you mention an Airfix one in yellow, not familiar with this, anyone got any photos/links of real or model?

Perennial topic Glenn, clear photos are pretty rare. ISTR Baby Deltic once posting a link to a vid that featured a short clip. Bachmann have a set of yellow ones in the pipeline, they're probably shown on their website or in the 2011 announcement thread in Products.

As an aside, it's interesting to come across someone who's never seen the yellow Airfix kit, or at least the box art ;) - link in Tim's post above.

Brian thanks for pointing out the photo in Hendrys book, just dug out my own copy, great shot. Anyone know why two different companies vans together, were they pooled together or interchanged?

Because they're just there for repair? It's not unusual for small repair sidings to feature a mix of stock.

Hi Tim and Pennine MC,

Thanks guys. Having grown up in OZ :sungum: havent seen the Airfix ones before. Im sure they were here though. Will be keeping an eye out for the Bachmann ones. Having lurked on here for a few years I hope to soon start a thread on my inglenook which is my interpretation of a small corner of Wimborne yard. Also am currently constructing a roundy- roundy layout also on Castlemans Corkscrew, possibly a factional/what if Station at Uddens Crossing or maybe West Moors having lived and worked there (Elephant and Castle Pub) for a couple of years. Just wish Id done a lot more research while actually there on the ground so to speak. So will definitely be picking your collective brains a lot more!

Cheers, Glenn

PS. Really miss the ol Ringwood 49er, you just cant get good ale here! :cry:

Archived