Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Industrial Critter - "Den & Dart"

Afternoon chaps,

Over the years on RMweb we've seen quite a few "critters" - industrial 0-4-0s made from Knightwing kits and similar, fitted to various types of power bogie.

I had been working on this pair for a YouTube video airing later this month, and thought I'd share it with RMweb as the types involved might be of interest.

They both utilize the absolutely tiny Bachmann "Gandy Dancer" chassis (and at this I'd like to thank Kernow who delivered the two GDs I needed for this video in record time), and require minor modifications to fit onto them.

The first is the Thomas & Friends character "Den", who is based on a Rolls Royce Sentinel D/H shunter. The toy in question is from the "Take n play" range. This conversion isn't particularly accurate, but it has created a rather neat and surprisingly powerful shunter which will be used for background shots on future videos I make:

post-1656-0-68889400-1316017903.jpg

As you can see, the proportions of the RR Sentinel have been squashed in some areas - it is after all, originally a children's toy.

post-1656-0-77634800-1316017919.jpg

The weight of the diecast body has improved the running of the gandy chassis no end and also given it a surprisingly decent haulage capacity. Six Hornby vans plus a brakevan were taken with ease.

post-1656-0-31067000-1316017929.jpg

The take n play model comes apart relatively easily, by unscrewing the model. The difficulty lies with cutting away the original plastic wheels and then tidying up the hole that is left, to fit the gandy dancer chassis. Sticking the bottom piece onto the gandy dancer chassis leaves the diecast body to simply slip on with minimal modification (under the roof is a cylinder that needs to be clipped off and then filed down.

Couplings were added at the front and rear after removing the original magnetic couplings (which simply unscrew from the bottom half of the toy).

post-1656-0-12465300-1316017938.jpg

Overall it is not a very accurate modification, but it will be of some amusement to my godson when he sees it at the end of the month, I am sure! :) That, and it should hopefully look the part in the upcoming video.

Then there is "Dart" - the one I think has the most potential of the two models. It's based on a Baguley diesel shunter, and requires a bit more modification:

post-1656-0-56322100-1316018236.jpg

As you can see, the overall proportions of this toy are significantly better for OO than the previous "Den" model.

post-1656-0-10674300-1316018294.jpg

The modification is primarily the same: take the original base with wheels, remove the wheels and hollow out the centre to allow the gandy dancer to fit through the centre. However, the inside of the "Den" bodyshell requires some significant filing down to allow the thin body to clear the top of the motor. Once down, it simply rests on the chassis in the same vein as the previous "Den" model.

post-1656-0-92930200-1316018398.jpg

The size and proportions of this one seem much more realistic, and the thought I had was this - remove the face, drill out the front windows, repaint/weather and you essentially have a fairly nondescript industrial shunter for minimal cost - £25 for the chassis and a fiver for the toy. I am sure more details could be added, such as proper buffers instead of the moulded ones. Couplings were added in the same vein as the "Den" model.

post-1656-0-39076300-1316018511.jpg

Overall these two projects have been quite enjoyable and I am sure in their current forms will prove quite fun when the godson comes round to play: equally I think they have potential in a modelling sense as a new variant of "critter". Thanks for reading!

I'm more interested in the Thomas blue 2-6-4 tank engine in the background .....

Oh dear - you mean "Belle"? :O

It's horrendous.

post-1656-0-42497600-1316099697.jpg

post-1656-0-65240400-1316099706.jpg

Introduced in Season 15 of T&F (the subject of my next money spinning review on YouTube), "Belle" is a fire fighting steam engine. She is a standard 4MT...with water cannons and a prussian blue paintjob.

Utterly, utterly horrendous. Wait until you see the all-American road/rail fire engine...!

• 1 year later...

I had completely forgot about these two. I sold them to a friend who turned them into rather convincing industrials in a dark red and a dark green paint scheme each. Of course, with Hornby's sentinel coming out this year, you may not have to bother with the Den conversion!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived