Heljan class 26 directional lighting problem.

My Heljan class 26 in BR green livery seems to have a problem with its directional lights as they don't work in the same direction of travel and the red lights don't come on at all, this is the only Heljan model I've got on my layout so don't know much about it,I'm still dc so does this cause the problem the Bachmann and Hornby model diesels I have there lights work fine even at very low speeds.KEV.

Guest 40-something

Sounds like a wiring mix up, check the plug in connections on the circuit board, may be a simple case of the plugs in the wrong place.

I have a number of HJ diesels, the lights on are very dim on DC as they are normal bulbs rather than LED's as used by other manufacturers, you'd need to turn the controller to full power to notice them.

Sounds like a wiring mix up, check the plug in connections on the circuit board, may be a simple case of the plugs in the wrong place.

I have a number of HJ diesels, the lights on are very dim on DC as they are normal bulbs rather than LED's as used by other manufacturers, you'd need to turn the controller to full power to notice them.

ok thanks for that will check the wiring.

Sounds like the motor has been put in the wrong way around.

If you are not confident taking the loco apart, take it back to your dealer for replacement or repair.

unplugging everything from the circuit board, turning the circuit board around and re-plugging everything in should have the same effect.

I have had a few like this, but it is fairly uncommon.

The red lights will be on, they are just very dim (It is a single grain of rice bulb illuminating a lighting track to the tail lights)

My class 26 has had the discs added. Not yet chipped, but the red tail lights do light up as expected - but as usual dim. The white headlights do not show through the discs at all - is this normal. Discs were added the correct way up but without removing to check , I wondered if they actually cover the lights.

• 5 years later...

Yes, probably not worth worrying about as the tail lamp (only one would be lit)  would only be on when running light engine. I've blown these bulbs whilst running on DCC where the constant full voltage of DCC has been too much for them. Do yours still work on DC if you try it again or could the decoder have blown them? They are quite cheap from Howes models. A CV change on your decoder can maybe lower the voltage to the lamps to preserve their life but they are already quite dim and I've stopped worrying about Heljan lighting some time ago.

Archived