Grounded horsebox-GNR,GCR or GER?

mirreles31

• RMweb Premium

Hi, just found these photos of a grounded horsebox I took some years back (1988 I think) at Woodhouse East Junction (ex GCR).

post-10896-0-21825100-1316101867_thumb.jpg

post-10896-0-21634200-1316101907_thumb.jpg

I remember finding a photo of something similar which was I think of GER origin, but not being certain I thought I'd chuck it out to anybody who might have a better idea of its origins. I've put the three companies in the title as this was located at a GCR junction which had connections to the GNR. Thanks in advance to anyone answering, cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter & Adam , thanks for looking in, I should have pointed out that the two pics are both sides of the same box, a lot of DIY mods have been made over the years I think. I grew up just up the road from this and it was there as long as I can remember (gone now of course). The box was located at the side of a weighbridge building (brick built) and I think in latter years may have had something to do with a small scrap merchants yard on that site. Thanks for the links, The LMS/BR box does make a good comparison, of course the GCR line from this junction went to the Chesterfield loop in LMS territory. Thanks again Phil.

Amazing the difference the apparent lack of tumblehome makes isn't it: completely done by that! I wouldn't read too much into the company location since the vehicle would have been withdrawn by BR who treated horseboxes, if not as 'common user', then certainly not regionally restricted, could just as readily have planted the body in a field in Somerset or Caithness. When withdrawn, the body would doubtless have been sold off locally.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Amazing the difference the apparent lack of tumblehome makes isn't it: completely done by that! I wouldn't read too much into the company location since the vehicle would have been withdrawn by BR who treated horseboxes, if not as 'common user', then certainly not regionally restricted, could just as readily have planted the body in a field in Somerset or Caithness. When withdrawn, the body would doubtless have been sold off locally.

Adam

Yes Adam, as I mentioned the box had gone through some bodgit changes over the years which had me guessing when I finally got round to wondering about its origin, to me as a kid it was just an old coach or something painted black (more likely a good coating of pitch). Of course you're right it could have come from any region/company however I logically started thinking along the lines of the local area/line. As I intend to model this section of line in the future the horse box would make a nice cameo scene at the side of Woodhouse East box. I'll probably start with an LMS/BR version and give it some extreme weathering!! :no: . Thanks all Phil.

Archived