Cupar MRExhibition. Fife

Mac

Falkirk is good (better than Cupar in my opinion;- more layouts, better selection of traders etc.), Didn't managed to make it to Falkirk last year thanks to the early deluge of the 'white stuff' which kicked off on the same weekend.

Not sure if I'll make Falkirk this year either as SWMBO has suggested a pre-Chr*tsm*s trip to Paris which would knock out that weekend! Still in 'negotiations' but not looking good it has to be said...

Also there is the Dundee show in, I think, late October(?). Not been to it for 3 or 4 years but it used to have a good selection of layouts/traders.

My main recommendation for 'North of the Border' is the Perth Show, last weekend in June. Quality layouts, ditto traders, easy access by road and rail, free parking.

Eddie & Jeff thanks for the feedback.

The problem for me with the Bonnybridge show is that it's too similar to the Falkirk one

in the area it covers..the date it's on and I suspect, the layouts on display.

I stopped going to the Dundee show when they started to bring in other types of general

modelling.

There used to be a good show at Musselburgh(Oct) but I think it folded long ago.

Linlithgow host a GOGuild show in Oct/Nov to which the public can enter; but it's purely O gauge.

I think Perth is gradually supplanting Glasgow as far as railway modellers are concerned, plus

because of it's size; it appears a friendlier show.

Mac.

• RMweb Premium

The problem for me with the Bonnybridge show is that it's too similar to the Falkirk one

The Bonnybridge exhibition committee work closely with our Falkirk counterparts to ensure we don't have the same layouts on display at our respective shows in the same year.

Craig

The Bonnybridge exhibition committee work closely with our Falkirk counterparts to ensure we don't have the same layouts on display at our respective shows in the same year.

Craig

Craig.

Had a look at the Bonnybridge MRC site and the exhibition looks very good value for £4.

Modellers in the Falkirk area are well served with two local shows in as many months.

Personally; I still have to pick the latter show as it coincides with the 'feelgood' run up to Xmas.

Mac.

PS..Have you considered joining forces to put on a 'Monster Show' in Oct/Nov ?

Craig.

Had a look at the Bonnybridge MRC site and the exhibition looks very good value for £4.

Modellers in the Falkirk area are well served with two local shows in as many months.

Personally; I still have to pick the latter show as it coincides with the 'feelgood' run up to Xmas.

Mac.

PS..Have you considered joining forces to put on a 'Monster Show' in Oct/Nov ?

That's why I like the Falkirk show as well, I always think that there is a 'buzz' about it. Hope they don't have a repeat of last year when the snow hit visitor numbers.

I also agree with the earlier comment as regards the Perth show. In my view the SECC show is well over-rated, yes there are layouts aplenty and traders in every corner but does quantity equal quality? (tin helmet firmly on!). And by the time you factor in transport costs (and parking if you drive there), the admission price and some 'wee refreshments' it does add up to an expensive day - and that's before any other purchases which have to be smuggled past 'customs' (aka SWMBO) on the return home.

Th idea of a joint Bonnybridge/Falkirk show is enticing , if it were to happen I would certainly make the effort to visit it.

Eddie

Eddie & Jeff thanks for the feedback.

I stopped going to the Dundee show when they started to bring in other types of general

modelling.

There used to be a good show at Musselburgh(Oct) but I think it folded long ago.

Linlithgow host a GOGuild show in Oct/Nov to which the public can enter; but it's purely O gauge.

I think Perth is gradually supplanting Glasgow as far as railway modellers are concerned, plus

because of it's size; it appears a friendlier show.

Mac.

I have heard through the grapevine [an enquiry received by my local MRC] that it is intended to revive the Portobello/Musselburgh/Meadowbank show [it moved around a bit over the years] in 2012.

Jeremy

I have heard through the grapevine [an enquiry received by my local MRC] that it is intended to revive the Portobello/Musselburgh/Meadowbank show [it moved around a bit over the years] in 2012.

Jeremy

That's interesting Jeremy: I hope they succeed.

I always thought the Brunton Hall in Musselburgh was an ideal venue.

Mac.

Jeremy

I echo Mac's comments, having attended the show in the past in each on the venues I thought that the Brunton Theatre was the best. Hope the grapevine is correct and looking forward to 2012 if it is.

My pal Mike and I go to many of the Shows in Scotland north of Glasgow as well as the AMRSS in February. This is still the best by far in terms of both range of traders and layouts. In fact I thbink its almost on a par with Warley which we go to every couple of years. Of the "local" shows Falkirk was always tops but in the past few years Perth has been catching up. Dundee used to be excellent too when it was at the Caird Hall but since it moved to the Sports Centre it has lost some of its sparkle. All these are head and shoulders above what I would call the "little local" shows. This isn't to disparage them but shows like Inverness, Moray(Elgin at Easter), St. Andrews, Cupar and Glenrothes seem to be getting smaller, if anything, in comparison to the "majors" and we've been progressively discontinuing them. Maybe its us, we are just getting older, and the drive from Aberdeen is maybe getting more daunting and we need something that bit more stimulating to get us into the car. This past year we needed a twoofer to go to Glenrothes (a GNSRA visit to Bo'Ness the same day) and in previous years the St. Andrews Show was the same day as the Scottish Bus Museum Open Day. Not this year though so we gave it a miss. Can't see us at Glenrothers next year either.

I used to like the Edinburgh show though it ever seemed to be in the same place twice and would look forward to that coming back. The Aberdeen Show, after what I thought was a poor return last year in a very ropey venue, is moving to much larger premises at RGU this next month. It used to be a big show and it deserves to be once more. It always had a lot of non railway stands - model boats, wargaming, radio controlled panes etc - but the Exhibition Centre was so vast that you could happliy avoid them and concentrate on the trains (if such was your fancy). The organisers say this year they are trying to make the show more general hobby oriented. That may be a winner in terms of attendance but they may fall on their faces if model railways are seen as becoming less important and their core audience give it the thumbs down. Hopefully that won't happen.

Archived