Beatie Well Tank

gwrman

A friend brought his Southern Beatie http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/33004/K2054_Dapol_240WT_Beattie_Well_Tank_Steam_Locomotive_3329

down to the club last night, we discussing if sound was available and whether a speaker would fit in the cab. Has anyone made any enquiries if ones been done, so I can let him know.

Nigel B)

Adding to Nigel's post above, ESU Loksound Micro V4 has a variety of speakers available. You could look at 50328 which is two 13mm speakers close together.

You could put the Zimo speaker directly on the ESU chip but the volume will be halved if you do. Zimo speakers are 8 ohms and are not supplied with the chip as standard. ESU V4 is rated at 4ohms and is supplied with a speaker as standard which may not be small enough although I have fitted one in the cab of my Class 03 diesel shunter.

There is the CT SL74 which, if you are comfortable with the generic sounds ( the whistle is a bit 'heavy' for a well tank IMHO ) is going to fit straight from the packet.

The Zimo chip has a number of whistles built in and one might suit.

i don't suspect that anyone has fitted sound to a Beattie Well Tank yet but I am sure that someone will.

The biggest downside of speakers in the cab is the probability that you will be able to see it. I also have little idea of the space available in the loco body. Small tank locomotives need as much weight as they can get in order to pull anything successfully and sometimes the chassis takes up all the room.

Don't be tempted to remove any weights unless you can replace it with lead and the decoder/speaker.

Hi

You will have no problem getting a 4 ohm ESU 16 x 25mm fully sealed speaker into the cab. That is the standard one that comes with the micro. Get rid of the standard housing and build your own. I usually use carbon fibre mixed with epoxy.

Cheers

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

I received my well tank recently and full marks to Dapol for a beautifully made model. I looked at the possibilities for fitting sound and decided there is room in the coal bunker for a speaker. I removed the "front" of the bunker with a burr and now have room for a Digitrax 14mm x 25mm speaker. While I was about it I also removed the plastic coal which spoils an excellent model. Now for he decoder. I'm hooked on Zimo and they have announced a new small decoder - MX648 - which will fit nicely in the boiler. Oh, the first thing I did was remove the rather clunky 6pin socket and suppressors to make more room. So when the MX648 reaches the shops in this country I'll have a well tank with decent sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I received my well tank recently and full marks to Dapol for a beautifully made model. I looked at the possibilities for fitting sound and decided there is room in the coal bunker for a speaker. I removed the "front" of the bunker with a burr and now have room for a Digitrax 14mm x 25mm speaker. While I was about it I also removed the plastic coal which spoils an excellent model. Now for he decoder. I'm hooked on Zimo and they have announced a new small decoder - MX648 - which will fit nicely in the boiler. Oh, the first thing I did was remove the rather clunky 6pin socket and suppressors to make more room. So when the MX648 reaches the shops in this country I'll have a well tank with decent sound.

What did you do to replace the mounting screw? I may not be ready for sound yet but do want to replace the coal load. Appears easy to remove the six pin socket as standard color wiring used for DCC decoders. I wondered why the loco suddenly stopped working and found the orange wire to the motor had come loose so I am re=soldering. I just need to find out where the grey wire attaches to the motor. I forgot to note the connection when I cut off the suppressor. A pic if anyone has one would help. A TCS M1 decoder would be an easy fit if you remove the six pin socket and hardwire the decoder in. I may just do that to get around the limitations of a six pin decoder.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Archived