South Eastern Finecast flushglaze

D605Eagle

Hi,

I've used the flushglaze kits on loads of locos down the years. They are a great, cheap way of improving the look of locos etc. However I just bought a kit to do a Lima Mk1 1st class composite (SE1). I'm not sure if I have an odd coach or a bad flushglaze kit or what but the compartment windows have to be cut into 3 parts and then very carefully trimmed to fit. And the the top right quaterlight is so tight it distorts when its fitted unless the opening is opened up a bit. All the other windows fit a treat. Has anybody else had problems with these flushglaze kits for Lima Mk1s?

Cheers

Jim

I've always cut flushglaze windows into the component sections to get the vent / quarterlights to fit properly, in fact I think doing so is recommended in the instructions. In a number of cases I've not used the vent / quarterlight mouldings, but used Microscale Kristal Kleer instead. I've done a Lima BSK and IIRC I did have some problems with the fit, I have a CK to do when I get round to it.

Jeremy

I've just finished flushglazing my old set (15) of Lima Mk1's. Whilst not up to Bachmann Mk1's It is a real improvement and the only cost was my time. I also ended up cutting the main windows into 3 parts, the main window, the left hand set of two vent windows and the right hand set of two vent windows. I also found that it is important to maintain the correct orientation of the vent windows as matched with the main window. There is a definite left and right. After some trials and tribulations I ended up running a needle file round all the window frames and in each corner. One some coaches there was a distinct layer of paint and on almost all it seemed like there was a small draft angle, going the wrong way of course.

I've just done a Mk1 corridor 2nd and non of the toplights fit, they are just the wrong shape for the opening. The only option is to attack them with a file. I've just bought a bottle of krystal clear, hopefully that will do the job on the toplights......

Its a shame really because all the other windows fit a treat.

Archived