Converting Hornby `caley single` to north eastern class J

georgie

I saw a 00 gauge locomotive conversion on a layout in a small exhibition many years ago. The owner had converted an old Hornby caley single, 4,2,2, into a passable model of an old north eastern J class, with the full cab, using plasticard and odd bits from the scrap box. Not perfectly accurate, but it captured the spirit of the prototype. Has anyone on RMWeb carried out such a conversion? Can anyone direct me to any plans of the J class loco and tender? I have a vast collection of all the popular railway modelling magazines, going back to the 1950`s. If any one knows of a mag with the plans of this loco printed, I`d like the issue number/year. I have`nt got the time to sift through every copy Better still if someone has carried out the conversion.

I have a vast collection of all the popular railway modelling magazines, going back to the 1950`s. If any one knows of a mag with the plans of this loco printed, I`d like the issue number/year. I have`nt got the time to sift through every copy .

So do I, and nor have I !! I suspect that your approach is unlikely to produce much help.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

There are GAs of both the I and the J is recent issues of the "EXPRESS" the journal of the North Eastern Railway Association. You should be able to purchase copies from them. As remarked above there are also drawings in North Eastern Record volume 3 published by the HMRS. Also in Ken Hoole's book "An illustrated History of NER Locomotives" published by OPC (ISBN 0-86093-323-7).

ArthurK

Archived