Bachmann 66 022 stuck on Thrash.

dasatcopthorne

Hi Guys.

I have just become the owner of the above loco. It's not new and I don't know how old it is.

It has the factory fitted sound on a 21 pin socket.

An odd problem seems to be that the loco revs up from tickover to notch 2 and moves off. Then if I get it to rev to notch 3 and then reduce the speed, on most occasions the sound will remain on 3rd notch thrash for as a long as you like, even when the throttle (NCE PowerCab) is on Zero.

Sometimes, moving the loco off again and slowing it to a stop again will then bring the revs back gradually to tickover.

Any suggestions please? Other than having it reblown by Howes, which may very well happen.

Dave

Tricky, as you have no real idea whether this has been tweaked by others. It sounds as though F5 and/or F6 has been left on and the chip has manual notching enabled.

I don't know whether the Powercab shows which functions are on. If it doesn't then a visit to a layout that has a controller which does

( aim for Digitrax D400 series throttle(s) ) and check.

If that is not available or doesn't work, try CV8 to value 8.

If that doesn't work, a reblow is your best option unless this loco is so old that the chip is a one minute offering.

Hi,

I had the very same problem with a factory fitted Bachmann 66 and 20.

I use NCE power cab and pro cab and never use the Bachmann "manual notching" I always just drive the engine and let it do it's stuff. That's why I have all of my engine reblown with Howes.

I had no idea what the problem was but, I swapped the 66 and got the 20 reblown with Howes.

I know this doesn't help with a solution but at least you know other standard Bachmann engines do it

Jim

While agreeing with all of the above comments and suggestions, there is one other thing you can try and that is to actually hit reverse momentarily to persuade the chip to drop the sound before reversing.

To be honest, I am not that impressed with the controllability or driveability of Bachmann's and South West Digital's sound decoders ... great sounds in most of them though (earlier class 20s excepted). I had my Bachmann 66 reblown by Howes; also two class 37s, a class 24 and a class 20. A class 47 will also be following suit but becoming a class 70 as I have the Howes class 47 sounds in a Heljan loco (it was that which persuaded me the Bachmann 47 was the inferior of the two, although it is not bad by any means).

Archived