Help Needed With My First Digitrax Decoder

pinzaboy

Hi

Went to Warley last weekend and decided to buy my first American HO Diesels. I am no stranger to DCC (Bachmann Decoders/Guagemaster Prodigy)and have an OO layout, but one of these HO locos has me a bit puzzled. It is an Athearn Genesis SD45-2 and requires a 9 pin decoder. I picked one up at Warley - DIGITRAX DH123D - and it is a simple fit. However, on 128 speed step the loco does not respond until I reach about 25 (and then needs a bit of a push)which limits nice slow speed shunting etc! It occured to me that maybe this decoder isn't the one for the job and wondered what you guys make of it. (It is not a loco problem as I've run it on DC and it moves at step 1 on the 128 step scale.) Any help much appreciated!

It says on the instructions that the DH123D decoder is 1.5 Amp/2 Amp Peak with 2 FX3 Functions, 0.5 Amp if that helps! I also read back the values for Acceleration/Deceleration/Top Voltage and all showed '0'

Thanks

Tim

The DH123 is a very basic decoder, but you should be able to tune the starting point by adjusting the Start Voltage (CV2). Try a value of 20 or so, and then adjust until the loco just moves on speed step 1.

If you want a premium decoder, the Lenz Gold is available with a 9-pin JST socket too.

Adrian

Archived