IOW/Cowes signals

IOW Canada

I'm trying to signal properly - or as close as I can - my OO model of Cowes station. I have determined that there was a single Home and a twin gantry on a single post Home at the platform ends. I also see on approaching the first point a bracket/junction signal, and on the leaving side a single (I believe) arm. I assume the bracket was Home(s) and the single/leaving side was Distant. All appear to be upper quadrant and all seem to be rail post construction. Some have a finial on top of the signal, i.e. both signals on the twin and the lower on the bracket/junction, but that photo was after abandonment so I am not sure if the other had it too. There seem to be few pictures that show the signal clearly. A Roger Nortfolk one shows the gantry and another I found shows the throat end after abandonment with signals de-armed..

My question is 1. does any one have more definitive information on those signals, and 2. does anyone make OO reasonably priced models - I know Ratio has three rail post style kits: Home, Distant and Home/Distant on a single post, but that's not enough. Or am I facing kit bashing :(>

Thanks for any help.

• RMweb Gold

Having done a bit of memory refreshing from the Middleton Press book the Starter for Platform 1 was a standard SR railbuilt UQ signal with the normal pattern of cap on the top of the post. The Starter on the island platform (Platforms 2 & 3) is the only one I can actually recall seeing - sometime after the station had closed by which time the arms had gone - and it was a standard SR railbuilt two doll bracket with lattice dolls and there were the normal pattern of finials for such dolls on both of them. Alas I know nothing beyond that, sorry.

Having done a bit of memory refreshing from the Middleton Press book the Starter for Platform 1 was a standard SR railbuilt UQ signal with the normal pattern of cap on the top of the post. The Starter on the island platform (Platforms 2 & 3) is the only one I can actually recall seeing - sometime after the station had closed by which time the arms had gone - and it was a standard SR railbuilt two doll bracket with lattice dolls and there were the normal pattern of finials for such dolls on both of them. Alas I know nothing beyond that, sorry.

Good memory as that confirms what I thought I saw from not too clear photos. The Platform 1 did not seem to have a finial and the 2/3 did. So it would seem that a single post had a plain cap so that would be the Distant on leaving the station. As to the bracket entering the throat, the taller doll seems to not have a finial, but the offset one does. Perhaps the post had a plain cap and the offset a finial - that jibes with what you have described for the platforms.

Getting clearer. Now if Ratio would only make multiple headed signals in rail post... .

Cowes Signalling (1960's)

Platform 1: Starter just off the end.

Platform 2 & 3. Starters, Twin Signal gantry just off the end.. Equal Height lattice dolls.

Engine release Crossover. SR disc ground

Coal Siding. SR DIsc ground signal near signal box.

Other sidings. SR Disc ground signal at exit.

Home Signals. 2 Arms: Rail Post with right hand bracketed lattice doll on the Newport Side of St Marys Road Bridge.

SR DIsc ground signal at entry to first turnout in station throat

Newport Single line: Advance starter Newport Side of St Marys Road Bridge

Note: St Marys Road bridge is the rail overbridge between the station and tunnel NOT the Road overbridge over the station throat. (Granville Road Bridge)

All signals latterley were rail built posts with upper quadrant arms.

Earlier signalling differed in arms, posts and in some cases location, I can advise for any specific period.

Pete

Missed 1

A further ground signal existed at the running end of the release crossover, this applied to movements from platform 2 onto the crossover.

This ground signal had a minature arm in yellow with a black vertical bar, otherwise similar to the SR disc type.

This indicates it only applies to movements using the crossover, it can be passed at caution for movements straight into platform 2. The normal SR disc (white with a red horizontal stripe) applies as a "stop" signal.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Archived