Emmyton Goods Shed - Design problems - help please :)

I've been working steadily with Emmyton and have come to the stage of thinking about building the goods shed. The plan is for it to cover the area that is purple on the map below and is thus quite a significant structure. The model is 3mm/ft and the space available is about 150mm by 300mm for the entire structure.

The problem I have is vehicular access. Goods sheds obviously need space to transfer goods to vehicles which can either be done internally (such as Moor Street, Birmingham) or externally such as a traditional single road small goods shed. I need help trying to squeeze a bit of a quart into a pint pot.

The footprint is 160x300mm with one side running very close to the runaround loop while the other side has about 12ft before the headshunt for the factory sidings. The latter can, of course, be embedded in the road. I am thinking therefore of having an end dock on the right hand road, but this would only allow one vehicles to be loaded at a time on that side while the left side would have several loading bays (?3?) and no end dock.

I'm not sure if this would work, or have I missed a better idea? The width of the shed footprint is split from left to right, 45mm, 70mm and 35mm for the two unloading docks with the center twin running lines.

HELP!!! (please )

This photo should help with the situation. The track to the top is the run around loop, then the double track goods facilities, and finally the headshunt which feeds the factory sidings. In normal operation the factory sidings I imagine would be used a couple of times a day if that so most of the time the headshunt would be free and cobbled.

6192442991_4953f29cab_b.jpg

The two green rectanges at the bottom are suggested position for loading bays and the distances show I have a scale 10ft for the first bay and 12ft for the second before the track. Bearing in mind the track at the bottom would be cobbled (or similar).

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be so long in coming back on this. To be honest it looks to me as if you have painted yourself into a corner and that something really has got to go so the simple (to me) solution would seem to be to reduce rail part of the goods shed to a single line. In practice the further line/deck is as near unworkable (in reality) as makes no difference as there is virtually no space to sort traffic and no way other than a hand truck or trolley to get it in & out of the shed.

So I would start by ensuring the correct clearances between the shed wall and the run round loop. Then think very carefully about the reason for the second track through the goods shed - what purpose does it serve in view of its near uselessness for handling traffic? Then look at an overall narrowing of the shed building thus moving it away from the headshunt in the foreground and allowing more room for road vehicles to work. I think there will still be a need for cobbling on the headshunt to allow ideal road vehicle access but you will have removed the overcrowded look.

Finally I must admit to a little confusion about your overall goods facilities as in some respects you seem to be missing more than you're providing. I'm no expert on NER goods depots but you seem to have no outdoor siding space to handle full (wagon) loads - normally they would only be dealt with indoors at the very large depots and I can't see a problem with an end loading dock. The latter could just as readily be at the passenger station (where you have some dead ends of course) as at the goods depot at smaller locations - a popular site was the otherwise often unused 'kickback' off the run-round loop and some stations even had a cattle dock there as well. So you can keep it right out of the way of the goods yard although the work would still be performed by 'goods' staff. Oh and one minor point - something which everybody misses - is the size of the office accommodation where for a depot of the size you are looking at there would be likely to be a Goods Agent (private office) plus 3 or more clerks; my local 'goods' closed in 1965 and while the Goods Agent had gone some years earlier there were still 4 clerks - at a depot serving a town of 10,000 people plus 4 country lorry rounds.

Thanks for the feedback. I've since evolved the plan although it's kinda got spread over 3 threads (partially due to the first two threads not being 100% sure which was the best place for it) - third thread is in the right place as it covers the actual assembly.

The idea is for the shed to be a fairly significant goods handling facility for an urban terminus. The entire yard has a number of roles including :-

Inwards goods handling from inland for the local town - the goods shed.

Outwards goods handling from the local town - the goods shed.

Small scale marshalling of trains up from a dock (off scene) which get combined into larger trains to go inland - basically the idea is the dock line can't handle large trains so a couple of dock trains are combined into a larger train and taken inland behind a larger goods loco such as a T3 or NER 0-6-0 tender.

Coal for the town gas facility ( late addition giving use for one of two sidings off the headshunt)

Coal/Supplies for a factory.

This thread covers how I decided to solve the problem but still has questions which need answering (in either thread - suspect all 3 threads ought to be combined into one - lol.

Regarding Office facilities, there might be a small office attached to the goods shed but most facilities would be off scene.

Factory - part of the factory complex might be modelled but the idea is most is off scene.

Town gas - most off scene except for coal storage.

Office facilities and goods weighbridge etc. primarally off scene.

Thanks again and please give feedback :)

Archived