The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Portable MP3 type players. Any recommendations?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I am considering a portable media player but don't know what to go for.

Not Apple - too expensive and limited formats covered.

Video (MP4) not essential.

I am not buying tracks on line.

I would like Flac & Ogg included as well as Mp3 and other popular formats.

Any suggestions?

Maplin have this which would meet my needs at £49.99 at present:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/8gb-3.0-inch-touch-screen-mp4-player-510866

Keith

I'm with Spamcan61, the Sansa Clip is a fine piece of kit. The only problem being that the thing is so damn small that I am forever losing it. Do buy some good earphones too to fully appreciate the sound quality difference of FLAC files.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I'm with Spamcan61, the Sansa Clip is a fine piece of kit. The only problem being that the thing is so damn small that I am forever losing it. Do buy some good earphones too to fully appreciate the sound quality difference of FLAC files.

Adrian

I have a pair of full sized 'phones which will be used with it most of the time.

It says it has expandable microSD - How much memory can it take?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair of full sized 'phones which will be used with it most of the time.

It says it has expandable microSD - How much memory can it take?

Keith

Strangely enough I can't find a capacity limit in the user manual:-

http://www.sandisk.c..._ENG+090309.pdf

A very quick trawl of the forums shows people are using 16GB cards at least.

Sony has a vast range of players with a good reputation for audio playback quality, but they don't support a wide range of codecs.

Edit 2: there's always the Sansa Fuze if you wanted the features of the Clip+ plus video:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Radio-MicroSD/dp/B0019JS45O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317382174&sr=1-3

Edited by spamcan61

I've currently got an 16gb iPod nano (5th gen). I previously used my PSP, Sansa Fuze and various non-branded players and can honestly say the iPod was the best purchase I've made. The Sansa Fuze keeps restarting itself, PSP was simply too big and the no-name players all gave up the ghost after less than a year. My advice is to not rule out apples products, although expensive they are built really solid. All my MP3's are encoded at 320kbps cbr and have never had a problem playing them on any of my players.

• RMweb Premium

I've currently got an 16gb iPod nano (5th gen). I previously used my PSP, Sansa Fuze and various non-branded players and can honestly say the iPod was the best purchase I've made. The Sansa Fuze keeps restarting itself, PSP was simply too big and the no-name players all gave up the ghost after less than a year. My advice is to not rule out apples products, although expensive they are built really solid. All my MP3's are encoded at 320kbps cbr and have never had a problem playing them on any of my players.

San Disk mentioned above are hardly a no name brand.

As I originally said Apple not considered because of the limited codec support.

Flac is my first choice because unlike mp3s there is no compression of the music at all, just the file size (like zip), although the compression can be as little as 30%, occasionally as high as 70%.

Ogg-Vorbis is supposedly much better than mp3 with similar compression rates.

I intend putting all my music onto computer hard drives and then dumping a selection to a player every so often.

Keith