modern locomotives illustrated

Dan Griffin

Quite enjoyed this issue, given these locos were before the digital photos era and their limited area of operation all of the photos are of a very high quality, but was surprised not to see any of the 'graveyard' shots from Crewe Electric Depot in the late 80's/early 90's or more photos of burnt locos, given their habit of going up in flames! Cant win em all and obviously photos of them 'in better times' are prefered

Yes, definitely another winner. Spread across several classes, coverage isn't as "rich" as with some other issues, nor is there mention of their DC cousins in Poland (PKP EU06 and its home-built derivatives). And, for once, there are no pictures taken at Cookham/Dawlish/Teignmouth!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I reckon for £4.20 this is an excellent buy for the photographic content alone - great to see so many full-colour images of the '70s scene. When you think it's easy to pay upwards of £15-£20 on a colour album these days (of 96 pages or so), MLI seems a pretty good buy to me.

One aspect that I'd like to read more on - in MLI or elsewhere for that matter - concerns the aesthetic/design aspects of the '50s/'60s BR locos. It's often only fleetingly mentioned in books or magazine articles compared with technical spec and performance.

The next issue covers the Peaks... so looks like it'll be another great MLI...

cheers,

Keith

I reckon for £4.20 this is an excellent buy for the photographic content alone - great to see so many full-colour images of the '70s scene. When you think it's easy to pay upwards of £15-£20 on a colour album these days (of 96 pages or so), MLI seems a pretty good buy to me.

One aspect that I'd like to read more on - in MLI or elsewhere for that matter - concerns the aesthetic/design aspects of the '50s/'60s BR locos. It's often only fleetingly mentioned in books or magazine articles compared with technical spec and performance.

The next issue covers the Peaks... so looks like it'll be another great MLI...

cheers,

Keith

You'll want the Haresnape BR Fleet survey 6 then, where there's lots of decent stuff about the design panel's influence and the wooden mock ups etc, .

For me, the MLI series is interesting, but riddled with too many errors, There are far, far better books available on most of the subjects. And I'd also advise a look on other forums like Railchat or WNXX whenever one of these magazines comes out, to put the facts right.

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks. Yes I too saw the (negative) comments about this issue of MLI posted on WNXX - lots of criticisms on the techie side of MLI content, but it's the photos I am after (I've loads of books on AC electrics... being a bit of a fan) - but the Haresnape vol sounds good so I'll look into that, thanks. I have a few old pics of locos at Euston from the early '80s, from when I went down to London (from Coventry), but all taken with a Boots 126 so they are more a personal record than worthy of wider circulation!

cheers,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading through this, I've always been interested in the early AC electrics.

However, I do find the amount of grammatical errors irritating*, especially in a magazine from such a large and well-respected publisher.

*Pot calling kettle black perhaps, but then I'm not paid to write!

Archived