Emmyton Goods Shed

Having twigged onto the solution for Emmyton Good shed I have started work on it. Really happy with is so far BUT I do have a possible choice to make and would appreciate some thoughts.

It is a heavily kitbashed 'Scalescenes' goods shed and will have a footprint about 4 times the size.

This first image shows two of the walls in situ with a piece of card being placed inside the structure to make the photo clearer.

6200810217_e6bf669bfe_o.jpg

As you can see the track has had to change from the original plan as seen by the Templot plan in the back ground. Internally from top to bottom there is a road which will be unloaded direct to road transport, then the road transport lane, then a platform/dock and finally a section rail line which will offload onto the platform.

I am pretty happy with the good shed but as can be seen from the above photo, and this photo below, there is quite a bit of space between the two tracks. Currently road access to that area is awkward but I suspect there is 'something' I can do with that area. Options I can think of are

1) A 3 way point with the 3rd line running between the two goods lines - If I was to do that should I cut an extra hole in the wall of the Shed for access to allow an extra (external) unloading bay.

2) Extend the top side of the shed so the unload to road transport side is longer - doing that would, of course, require widening the hole in the end wall to allow road vehicles access to the extension.

3) Leave it as it is.

4) Don't add extra track but add an external dock with access through a hole in the shed wall.

6200809575_9949f8e577_o.jpg

Thanks

Kat

Still not sure what I'll do ( if anything ) trackwork wise but doesn't stop me making more progress with the Shed.

As stated earlier I'm using the scalescenes goods shed as a basis with the addition of a standard sheet of stone paper also from scalescenes and some I girder.. I mean spare rail!!

6204355472_5cac0ef1d2_o.jpg

Sides of the shed are built up from 4 sides from printouts of the kit. I am only using the 'track side' of the kit as the vehicle access is at the end of the shed.

Got the colour balance slightly wrong on this next image.

6204354466_5f3de4681b_o.jpg

Ends and sides of the shed. The central internal buttress helps cover the join between the two halves of the side. I've actually made the join diagonal as it was easier to cut accuately as I just cut diagonally along the buttress mounting marks on the side.

6204353560_67d3db2f8f_o.jpg

Next up we have the jig for soldering up the roof trusses. I have a second jig made up to locate two extra angles.

Finally we have two pictures of the structure blue-tacked together to give an idea of how it goes together.

6204352786_c342b07160_o.jpg

6203835053_c38d345192_o.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting problem. I would not add more track!!! But you could perhaps extend the deck out through the end wall - a common feature as a regular problem in goods sheds was lack of deck space; deck space was more important than anything else as it was needed for sorting and storing (and sometimes warehousing) traffic. More modern (1960s that is) thinking was in favour of narrow decks to prevent the storage of stuff as depots tended to get cluttered but older, especially medium/larger depots tended to have much more deck space.

And you will need an office of some description as there would inevitably have to be a couple of clerks working right next to the action dealing with things like consignment notes and invoices etc - goods work involved an amazing amount of paperwork, it's a miracle the attic floors never collapsed in some places as a lot of the paperwork had to be retained for 7 years :O

Oh and planning on having the office bolted onto the far end of the shed - should be plenty of room as the only thing in that wall is the vehicle access door. Assume the office would need a door into the shed (save using the vehicle door) and perhaps a 'serving hatch' for people to drop off invoices etc. ?

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou - so basically fill the triangle in with a fairly significant dock accessed through a dock level door into the main goods shed?

And don't forget the doorway needs to be big enough for sack trucks and possibly trollies and that some goods came in barrels (which can be quite wide).

Oh and planning on having the office bolted onto the far end of the shed - should be plenty of room as the only thing in that wall is the vehicle access door. Assume the office would need a door into the shed (save using the vehicle door) and perhaps a 'serving hatch' for people to drop off invoices etc. ?

Yes and yes - the office might also need a public counter on 'road' side.

I'm looking forward to watching this shed progress; a nice bit of thinking outside the box here. Beautiful slender roof trusses too. I hope they're going to be visible once the building's finished.

Also I want to see how many more packets of custard creams you get through - a staple diet for modellers the world over!

ATB

Phil

Done more work on the shed. In order to cut a hole in the end wall I needed to complete the dock (at least to a level of knowing the height) so after finishing off the 5 trusses I built the dock. As you can see it is slightly on the narrow side but the external dock can provide additional dock space (as suggested) and it has in effect slight compression due to modelling restrictions. The scale width of the dock is 11ft while the vehicle area will be larger although I suspect most loading will be done 'side on' to the dock rather than end on. The vehicle side is 42mm approx so 14 feet wide.

post-11540-0-05523900-1317684626_thumb.jpg

post-11540-0-50338500-1317684609_thumb.jpg

post-11540-0-80544900-1317684589_thumb.jpg

Work is progressing steadily. I think I'm going to double the size of the office building by adding two more 'side' pieces. Can't do that till I have more printer ink though - but only a slight problem as the office is an 'addon' building and the interior door into the goods shed will just be stuck on the surface.

Meanwhile the trusses are progressing well. Todays task was to solder the 5 trusses to two piece of rail giving all the location required and keeping them in place. The extra height also gives clearance so the roof, when in place, will sit properly on the roof trusses.

6220041994_aac704a144_o.jpg

6220043002_48de230141_o.jpg

6220043326_f1524fcfd6_b.jpg

The observant amongst you will notice different window glazing styles left to right. This was simply to save OHP film and I am hoping won't be noticeable when in place because one set of windows will be on the opposite side to the viewer.

I don't know whether to glue the trusses to the walls or the roof to the trusses.

The former will add rigidity to the sides but make access through the roof slightly awkward, the latter will add support to the roof although I will be using two end pieces on the roof structure to keep the pitch correct.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to glue the trusses to the walls which I am certain was the right decision. I can still access the insides of the structure, the roof fits happily without gluing and the structure is amazingly strong now :).

Still gotta finish the office and external dock but at least the basic shed is done.

Archived