RMweb

Bachmann Thomas! (U.S. import)

madgasters

The CGI itself is incredible, and the director in charge of it makes some beautiful looking episodes and films with it, but the writing has not been up to scratch for over a decade, getting to its lowest ebb in the last three years (I feel). The voices are something of a marmite thing: you either love 'em or you hate 'em!

The current spate of articles going around concentrate on the Christmas theme, for an episode which aired five years ago...there are much worse problems with the stories at present than political correctness, by some way.

That's true - looks wise it's great. They even show the inside motion corrctly for Thomas, but its all style and no substance in the stories though.

I've never seen that website before either - its now bookmarked for future reference. I have though, just come back from grandad's house, where we took the stock, track and elite in 6 really useful 7 litre boxes. It may not be scenic (yet), but it does get used and played with by its intended user !

Thank you for the picture of Donald's innards. No gloss black paint then ?! Another couple of 4 way micro connectors to order then.

• 3 years later...

Today I picked up the resin Bachmann 'Black Loch Folly' here in the States. They also now do Maithwaite Station, a signal box, and some other resin buildings. While all the Bachmann Thomas trains for the North American market are really OO labeled as HO, these are actually labeled as HO/OO. 

post-10569-0-79977500-1425176345_thumb.jpg

post-10569-0-44079000-1425176357_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Bachmann James is good, up to a point. For a better looking model (which is also more accurate), painting the strip of smokebox black (which is red) and painting the grey wheels and axleboxes black on the locomotive and tender goes a long way to improving the look of the model:

attachicon.gifCIMG3281.jpg

Just an ordinary Revell gloss black applied to finish it off.

I did a comparison of the Hornby and Bachmann James models as a video review for my Youtube channel about six months ago if the extended look at the Bachmann James model will help anyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V8phcs5v8c

I did the same thing, once. And while I was at it, I made him into the RWS version.

i have a few of these, edward is indeed the hardest to chip, ebay is also a good source of thomas from Bachmann, theres quite alot on there in the UK and the postage from the US isnt too bad. Bachmann trains have a wide range of spares available too, faces ect so they all dont have to have to sit there with a smily face!! i agree with all of daves comments above, james, considering his pick up arrangement was a bad runner but howes sorted mine for me.

attachicon.gifpost-6736-0-73868900-1318103342_thumb.jpg

the next one i will get for my lad will be percy. if you buy one a month its not too bad on the wallet either.

I have quite a collection myself, though generally, I am more of a realistic prototypical sort of person.

Archived