Class 24 Bodyside Grills

Courtney

They received an extra grill along the top row, four one side and five the other, reason why ??

And as Pennine mentioned it was only some of the pilot batch.

D5000-7, 13-18 were fitted , although D5000 hadn't had them fitted when new in 58, but was by 60 if not earlier.

They received an extra grill along the top row, four one side and five the other, reason why ??

And as Pennine mentioned it was only some of the pilot batch.

D5000-7, 13-18 were fitted , although D5000 hadn't had them fitted when new in 58, but was by 60 if not earlier.

Which is why I have erred in renumbering my Bachmann early green 24 to D5014 for use on the SR!!! I knew of the extra grille on some but not all of the early batch but had no photographic evidence for 5014, which was the easiest renumber for me to do. Oh, well. back to the drawing board!

biggrin.gif

Which is why I have erred in renumbering my Bachmann early green 24 to D5014 for use on the SR!!! I knew of the extra grille on some but not all of the early batch but had no photographic evidence for 5014, which was the easiest renumber for me to do. Oh, well. back to the drawing board!

biggrin.gif

Just to add a little more grist to the mill, if you are looking at using the Bachmann model, don't forget a number of the early 1160hps had Athermos axleboxes, and the very first five (I think) had a "split" radiator grille.

biggrin.gif

From memory (and I'll have to go back and check this) you could only convert the Bachmann D5054 to 5009/10/11 in its unmodified configuration for one of the Southern examples. There are fortunately quite a few photos of them in service in various Southern photo albums so it's always best to check that way.

Just to add a little more grist to the mill, if you are looking at using the Bachmann model, don't forget a number of the early 1160hps had Athermos axleboxes, and the very first five (I think) had a "split" radiator grille.

And just to make it a bit more complicated, some of those 'split' grilles found their way onto other members of the class. I was looking at a photo of D5134 (24134) with a split grille just yesterday.

Archived