advice required for zimo flickering fire option

status quo

Hi Guys

Looking for advice on how to wire up leds for flickering fire on zimo sound decoders. I've got the decoder fitted and leds are just ready to go in. What function wire do I use? What function wire does the led resister go on? What cv's do I change to get it to work with the shovelling coal effect? The decoder is hard wired into the loco.

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Guys

Looking for advice on how to wire up leds for flickering fire on zimo sound decoders. I've got the decoder fitted and leds are just ready to go in. What function wire do I use? What function wire does the led resister go on? What cv's do I change to get it to work with the shovelling coal effect? The decoder is hard wired into the loco.

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve,

Do you plan to load your own sounds or is this an existing project? (Digitrains, for example, already has the CVs set for this in some steam projects)

Have you used any function outputs for anything else? (lamps, smoke?).

The resistor normally goes on the blue (common positive) wire, but it can be on the negative (FO) side without problem.

Paul

Hi Paul

I am using digitrains 4mt sound (the best sound around). I have not used any function wires but was wanting to have the firebox glow working with the shovelling coal effect. It was just to find out what wire to use and what cv's need changing.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

task goes like this:

a ) Decide which function output wire to use. Electrically it does not matter, they are all the same (except for the logic level outputs which are some of the solder pad outputs on the chip). Function control or mapping does not matter, you can put any function on any key with any behaviour. So, the decision comes down to which wires are convinient and which are already in use.

b ) Electrical wiring. LED has resistor in series with it. Connect negative end of these two to the function output wire. Connect positive end to either the blue or a pickup wire - not both !!!!. Use whichever is convininent, though using a pickup wire will reduce the brightness as its "half wave". (Different rules apply to the logic level outputs, but suspect you will not be using the solder pads!).

c ) Function mapping. Here Zimo is very capable, but also potentially confusing. If using JMRI/DecoderPro, use it ! The Zimo manual has stuff on pages 24-25 which are relevant. If you post here saying which function key you want and which output wire you are using, then either Paul or I could post the CV's you need to set. (I think you may need the Zimo extended map, with CV61=1 on page 25; this allows the lower output wires to be mapped to higher number function keys ).

d ) Set Firebox flicker. This is simpler. Page 31 in manual, decide which CV from 125 to 132 applies to your function output wire. Set value to 8 for random flicker in both directions.

That's the basics done. There are other tricks to add, such as tuning the brightness, optional "turn off all lights" key which would suppress the firebox flicker, brightness control, etc..

- Nigel

Hi Nigel

I think i will use the green wire for it. So what cv's would need changed to have it work with the coal shovelling sound effect?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

The Digitrains 4MT (I think it's pretty cool too! Ha Ha) sound project is already set up for coal shovelling and firebox flicker on F6. You just need to connect up the LED correctly.

Put your resistor in the blue wire (positive) side of the circuit, and the negative side of the LED to the Green wire..

See how thoughtful Digitrains are?

Paul

PS. I've arranged for an amendment to the instructions Digitrains issue with the decoder to make this clear, thanks.

Thanks Paul

Keep up the good work.

I have 15 zimo sound decoders to fit this weekend.

After I bought the first one and fitted it and took it up to the club everybody was wanting one.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Glad you got the job!

In the the 4MT project, F0 will switch on/off any working loco lamps. See my original Hornby Magazine articles, here: Scroll down to the purple (English) entires.

http://www.zimo.at/w...essespiegel.htm

You will be pleased to know, then, that Zimo BR Standard 2 (2-6-0 tender) will be available this week, and Stanier 8F and Jinty shortly, all from genuine recent recordings.

And for lovers of 'The Railway Children' the ex-Northern and Southern Railway loco, an N2, is about to depart.

Whoo Whooo

Paul

Edited for a error and duplication, sorry.

Archived