B&0 museum Baltimore

station cat

Last month I visited the B&O museum in Baltimore. It is a museum with a well deserved excellent reputation. They have a huge amount of stuff much of which is well presented. Unfortunately a good chunk of it is stuck outside in the carpark, which at least allows you to observe some extreme weathering. Otherwise, there are displays in the roundhouse, the carriage workshops and in some disused platforms. There is an operational railway but, alas for me, it doesn't operate on Mondays.

Locos in the carpark

digipics057.jpg

digipics054.jpg

reverse of the above loco - some serious weathering

digipics060.jpg

Detail of this loco

digipics058.jpg

digipics066-1.jpg

digipics062-1.jpg

digipics061.jpg

Locos in the Roundhouse, the roof collapsed under the weight of snow in 2003 and has been rebuilt

digipics069.jpg

A camel built to haul coal over the Allegheny mountains

digipics072.jpg

Memnon, which saw service in the American Civil War, digipics070.jpg

Shay loco

digipics073.jpg

The model railroad

digipics074.jpg

Looking at the pictures inside the roundhouse, you wouldn't realise that the roof collapsed under the weight of snow a few years back, causing quite a lot of damage to the historic exhibits inside. All credit to the museum for putting those back in order - which may explain why the locomotives stored outside show some signs of neglect.

I'm not in a position to check, but I think that the material "in the car park" wasn't there when I visited the museum (1999) and may have transferred there from another site (again explaining the current condition, perhaps).

Archived