How to start off tramway modelling

Earl Bathurst

If you are using 1/76th scale then you might want to consider OOC Blackpool or Feltham trams with a suitable motorising mechanism. Likewise the EFE Leeds Horsfield trams could fit onto a suitable Spud.

N scale have a look at the ones from Oxford and like the OO scale would need to fit a power unit into them.

There are a few RTR foreign models such as the Bachmann Hong Kong tram.

Next option is to build a kit and finally scratch build!

Hi

Trams have always interested me. They were the reason how i got into model railways. But want to know how do i start modelling tramways. Where do i get models of trams and motorising trams and any other info on the modelling would be really useful.

Scott

Scott.

If you're serious about tramway modelling,take out a subscription to the TLRS.

Money well spent.

Mac.

I would also endorse DM's recomentation of David Voice's book.

A couple of obvious places on the web to start are:

The Tramway and Light Railway Society website - A little biassed towards larger scales, but still a mine of information including lists of suppliers, suggested track standards, prototype info and links to other modellers sites for inspiration.

East Lancs Model Tram Supplies - the only one-stop shop for just about anything available for Model Trams...

For a simple starter project, see my 'Tram in a Weekend' thread on the previous version of RM Web.

Paul

Scott,

Further to the good advice already given, another post from the old RM Web site 'Newbie to Tramway Modelling' may also be helpful regarding building track and points. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=40021

You mention you're going to use DC. Cosmetic overhead and track wired for 2-rail is the simplest option if you elect to use normal model railway track and points. It also allows ready-to-run trams to do just that. Scratchbuilding sharper radius tramway points using copper-clad sleeper strip is challenging but rewarding in gaining more of the true tramway 'look'.

Lastly, check out 'The Grime Strret Blog' elsewhere on RMWeb where some great tramway modelling is there for inspiration.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37661-grime-street-blog-updates/

Graeme

Archived