Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Peco track and simple school chemistry(Oh B****R)

I hope I have put this in the correct place.I'm currently building a layout(Little Phili) and laying the last length of code 75 track.I have put this off for a while because it involves an incline quite steep up to the coal staithes( just setting the scene)!!.

I laid the final afore mentioned length of track and needed some weight toas the PVA glue set.So after some looking and scratching of head I used 5 tins of a popular soup seemed OK. Off muggins goes and leaves everything for 36 hours.Oh dear all nickel plating has disintegrated around the area of the tins.Air goes very blue as realisation dawns. Hence schoolboy chemistry.there has been no form of electrical current or connection applied to the layout.Still I do see the funny side of it,it's just a pain in the bum.

As the siding/incline was always overgrown and rough in the real world I'm tempted to leave the track in situ.I will post some pics when I can.

Nickel-silver rail, if that is what you have, is solid drawn nickel-silver, not plating, so the effect should be only surface discolouration. Some fine abrasive should bring back the shiny surface. I've had nickel-silver track outside, with the sea about half-a-mile away, (and a steelworks between the beach and us), and the track has functioned perfectly once the surface has been cleaned.

Indeed, the corrosion should polish off if that proves necessary.

Surely I cannot be the only one who after PVA solution ballasting a large track section in DC days, found a strange lack of power when attempting to run a test loco through, and then noticed electrolytic bubbling and blueish corrosion products appearing alongside the rails?

Unfortunately you don't need any electrical current for corrosion to occur where 2 different metals are in contact, although a nice bit of moisture from your ballast mixture will have helped! I'm sure many of us have done something similar, but all the best weights will probably be metallic in nature.

I have taken a pic of afore mentioned track, and as I said earlier I see the funny side, and am still chuckling away at my basic schoolboy error. Such is life so for your delight,I tried for ages with my lovely little digital camera ended up using the mobile phone it's so much easier and clearer I hope. Think I'll give up and go clockwork!

track005.jpg

Archived