Trackside Telegraph Poles - Spacing

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

What is the spacing for line side telegraph poles?

Has a good walk around today and can't find a single pole, let alone a line of them.

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

On fairly straight runs, on a typical light pole route in areas not subject to extremes of weather, they would be about 3 coach lengths apart. On heavier routes they would be closer, probably down to about 2 coaches. There were variations due to bridges, stations, signal boxes, etc, so the average was about 40 poles per mile of route.

I am old enough to have done pole route repairs, but most in our area were taken down by the mid to late 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

Found some nice ones for you on Google Earth. Noticed they were still there as I went past yesterday. Not quite trackside, but on the canal bank next to the railway. Go to the corner of North Western Road and Brasshouse Lane in Smethwick, just north of Rolfe St sataion. Look over the wall in Streetview, looking about northwest. The arms and wires went about 45 years ago but the poles are still standing.

Edit - The first two from the bridge are about 55 yards apart. There is a third in the trees about 120 yards further on, so 60 yard spacing would be correct.

Archived