Hornby class 31 P4 questions

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

Does anyone know how to get the wheels out of a Hornby class 31 (the latest version, not the old Triang/Hornby model)? There is a keeper plate on the bogies but no obvious way of removing it. I want to convert the loco to P4 with a set of Ultrascale wheels. Also do the pick ups have to be modified for the wider gauge?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

There are six clips (three per side) on the underside of each bogie. Use a small (2mm) flat-blade screwdriver and carefully lever the clips along one side from one end to the other and it should come away once the first two are free. Have a swear-box handy though......

Hope that helps!

Tim

Guest oldlugger

Cheers Tim!

My swear box is so full I could buy a house in Kensington Square, W8 (wishful thinking sadly). I'll give it a go...

Cheers

Simon

Guest oldlugger

Tim er... can you explain a bit more? I can see three sets of protruding lugs but no obvious way of getting a screwdriver in.

Tim er... can you explain a bit more? I can see three sets of protruding lugs but no obvious way of getting a screwdriver in.

Sure! How recent is the model first? The version I have is from the first batch. You need to attack the things from the side and twist them off ever so slightly, for want of a better phrase. One the keeper plates are off, the sideframes and pickup plates should fall out nicely, allowing the wheels to pop out. Hornby changed things after both the 50 and 31 to be slightly easier to attack, for those of us who go wider that is.

T

Guest oldlugger

Tim,

Here's a photo of the bogie. My model is pretty recent I'd say... two to three years old? Are the clips behind the the three protruding lugs you can see in the photo? I've managed to get my screwdriver in behind one of these at the fuel tank end.

Cheers

Simon

post-1308-0-67242700-1318611321_thumb.jpg

If you want to get at them more easily by working from above, unclip the cover over the worm on top of the bogie gear tower. That releases the bogie, and then you can approach from above down the gear tower sides to pry the flat clips loose. The clips are well visible on the picture to the left of the outside and centre axles, and to the right of the inside axle.

Guest oldlugger

Cheers both of you for the help. So do I push my screwdriver down between the double protrusions/clips X 3 mentioned above, twist and lift the plate upwards? That is what I was doing earlier and only managed to lift one corner - slightly. I'm afraid I will damage the nylon gears inside. In the old days there would have been instructions and simple screws!

Guest oldlugger

I finally got the keeper plates off after breaking one of the lift up clips! For those attempting the same, there are three thin plastic clips on the outside of the keeper plate that locate onto plastic lugs also on the outside of the inner bogie - the latter below the keeper plate. It is not obvious how you release them (at first) but with a thin screwdriver or other similar thin edged tool get the blade under the clips and pull them outwards along one side first and then the other side. The keeper plate will then have partially lifted off the main inner bogie and you should be able to flip the remainder off. Caution! Once the keeper plate is off, the bogie side frames will be loose and will probably drop off their inner lugs with ease; watch this as the frames have thin wires connected which lead to the motor and could easily become unsoldered. My model was swimming in oil which has got over most bits of the model. I've cleaned this up as best I can now. What do the manufacturers do to these locos? Drop the whole loco into a vat of 3 in 1? Also, why do they have to make getting at the wheels and gears so ridiculously complicated, enhancing the chances of damage? Why not use screws like the good old user friendly Lima locos?

Cheers

Simon

The varying quantity of lubricant in China assembled chassis from both Bach and Hornby is quite striking. I have seen everything from packed solid with grease to bone dry over the last decade: although to be fair the last three to four years purchases have all had a sensible quantity, ranging from generous but not outrageous; to a neatly applied minimal quantity, the way I would choose to do the job myself.

Clip together versus screws: fewer parts, no assembly tools required, quicker assembly operation ; clip together is here to stay...

Archived