Hornby class 31 disintegrating

Guest oldlugger

Guest oldlugger

You can understand my total alarm when I discovered that TWO new generation Hornby class 31 bodies disintegrated this afternoon! As some may know I have been converting one of these models to P4 with Ultrascale wheels. Getting the keeper plate off was hassle enough with one of the clips on the KP breaking off, followed by one of the main body screw fixings. Then as I started to reassemble the model after the wheel change I found that a large chunk of the lower part of the body front (above the buffer beam) had suddenly broken off! I looked a bit closer and then found that there were more cracks around this area and bits of plastic falling off. I then happened to glance over to my second Hornby class 31 body in green livery (which I had taken apart) and found that that too had a chunk of plastic in the same area, starting to break off! Well what do you think? I am always ultra careful with all my model conversions/super detailing exercises. I didn't force anything or do anything out of the ordinary and the P4 conversion didn't even directly involve this part of the loco. In my post about the P4 wheel change I did mention that the class 31 that I was converting was very over oiled. This could have affected the plastic body work. So I'm stuck with two P4 converted locos with two damaged bodies. What are my options? Sell both here or on Ebay, or try to find some spare bodies? All up around £200 down the drain so far. If anyone wants a P4 converted class 31 with some work to do, let me know. Of course this had to happen AFTER I had removed the OO wheel set and fitted the P4 wheels. Other than that I've not altered anything or painted the bodies.

Simon

Hi Simon,

This topic here might help: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43768-Hornby-corroded-class-31-chassis/page__view__findpost__p__483838__hl__hornby+31__fromsearch__1

I've had to remove the coupling keeper plates on mine, not to mention leaving the body off it, lest it should cause problems. The former have already buckled and found their way to the bin!

Good luck, if that's the right phrase to use here....!

Tim

Archived