Realistic color for railroad modeling, a DVD from T. Kirk

M Graff

Hello all, I have had the great pleasure to watch the DVD from Troels Kirk; "Realistic color for railroad modeling". I have a background as an artist, and knows how difficult it is to teach painting techniques, but Troels have done it with great success!

It's an instructional film, and it shows many great tips and techniques for making your models look good and realistic!

In it, Troels Kirk shows the different methods he has utilized to make his layout, the Coast Line in On30, look as good as it does!

It features a very good basic rundown on how to use paint and what tools and materials to use. How to mix and use colors, and a very nice view into how to use an artists eye to help get the correct hues and tones.

He also shows how to paint and weather different surfaces.

Everything from a variety of walls to rolling stock, and even a very good section on how to super detail brick paper!

Troels have a really nice, inspired way on how to paint roofing materials, that really caught my eye.

The landscape section was also made in a very good way, and featured such things as rocks and waters among other things.

There is also a good section where Troels show some pointers on how to make your layout really pop! The DVD ends with some really nice stills from the Coast line RR, and they show off to great effect, the various techniques used in the film.

It is accompanied with some more of the wonderful Bandoneón music featured in the film. It is performed by Troels wife; Anne.

The quality of the filming, sound and editing is very good indeed! The only thing is that I could have watched an hour more :-)

As a conclusion I can only say, that if you have an interest in how to paint your models, buy this DVD!

I found ideas that I will put to good use on my layout!!

This is how the cover looks:

post-6867-0-90182100-1318861843.jpg

Archived